mimic

Basket weaves

I just recently came across a "viper" basket weave. Is that predominantly made for men or can it be done for women too? Does anyone have suggestion on sizes of A.R. to use for this? Also any pictures and how well it sells would be nice.

Not sure about the men/women thing.  However sizes:

I've used 18g 3/16" anodized aluminum with 9/32" 18g bright aluminum.  Example:  https://rosszone.com/shop/images/8487/ViperBasket-Turquoise.jpg

I've used 3/16" bright aluminum with 5/16" bronze, but it's very tight and barely flexible.

Edit:  Saw cut rings.

Edited by RossZone

Viper basket is a beautiful weave that can be made for men or women. Just depends on material and colors. Though honestly, I've had women come up and buy gigantic steel bracelets that I designed for men...so who knows what one person will think is feminine or masculine!

Not sure about the men/women thing.  However sizes:

I've used 18g 3/16" anodized aluminum with 9/32" 18g bright aluminum.  Example:  https://rosszone.com/shop/images/8487/ViperBasket-Turquoise.jpg

I've used 3/16" bright aluminum with 5/16" bronze, but it's very tight and barely flexible.

Edit:  Saw cut rings.

Yes that is EXACTLY the one that I looked at. Right down to the color. However I read somewhere else that it is "manly" type of weave. I just wanted to make one for myself because I love the way it looks.

So thanks for the idea. :D

Viper basket is a beautiful weave that can be made for men or women. Just depends on material and colors. Though honestly, I've had women come up and buy gigantic steel bracelets that I designed for men...so who knows what one person will think is feminine or masculine!

Yes I have had that too but on the spectrum of my regular jewelry. I haven't made much maille pieces yet. Honestly I wouldn't even know how to approach the male part of jewelry. I have only made tie tacks and cuff links for my father.

I think trying to differentiate jewelry as strictly for men or women is ridiculous...

Ha. I love it. :D thanks for the sincere LOL

I think trying to differentiate jewelry as strictly for men or women is ridiculous...

It's really difficult when marketing jewellery to signal that it might be wearable for men (outside of places where men expect to buy it). I find men hardly pause at my jewellery stall and I feel I might in future have to scream "MEN'S STUFF" with signs.

I feel like bigger and chunkier and more muted and simple and strong-looking/feeling is what "masculine" jewellery tends to be... Viper basket fits that but it sure can look "feminine" as well with the right gauges and colours. I think a lot of chainmaille can be very androgynous however, which I think is part of the appeal for me.

Personally? I don't conflate "masculine" with men at all (and conversely), being queer of gender myself, and think everyone should mix it the **** up more. But it seems women can take more risks with jewellery without being laughed at or accused of being deviant. But in terms of marketing... IDK, I make different styles but wish I could get more interest from guys without having to say "this piece is for YOU".

I've only made viper basket in AA - 16g 3/8" with 16g 1/4" - it's possible to do a lot of eyecatching patterns with the colours. And it comes together very fast.

It's really difficult when marketing jewellery to signal that it might be wearable for men (outside of places where men expect to buy it). I find men hardly pause at my jewellery stall and I feel I might in future have to scream "MEN'S STUFF" with signs.

I feel like bigger and chunkier and more muted and simple and strong-looking/feeling is what "masculine" jewellery tends to be... Viper basket fits that but it sure can look "feminine" as well with the right gauges and colours. I think a lot of chainmaille can be very androgynous however, which I think is part of the appeal for me.

Personally? I don't conflate "masculine" with men at all (and conversely), being queer of gender myself, and think everyone should mix it the **** up more. But it seems women can take more risks with jewellery without being laughed at or accused of being deviant. But in terms of marketing... IDK, I make different styles but wish I could get more interest from guys without having to say "this piece is for YOU".

I've only made viper basket in AA - 16g 3/8" with 16g 1/4" - it's possible to do a lot of eyecatching patterns with the colours. And it comes together very fast.

Thank you for saying that about screaming for men' stuff. I mean I have done that too many a time when I have done shows.

However I am also grateful that you mention the truth about how much women can take more risks with jewelry than that of men. Again that is my assessment of the situation. I really just love how the look is and wanted to learn how to make one.

Is that predominantly made for men or can it be done for women too?

Love it ;)

There is general idea what feminine or masculine is, and that idea may bring some general associations - like feminine is delicate, sophisticated, and masculine is simple and massive, but it is often misleading when selling or designing something for a client.

Some of my personal observations:

-men like "masculine" pieces much more often than "feminine". some would want it more for a status indicator - thick gold (rich) or titanium (strong and rare) pieces are most often "bullseye" for some societies or counties (like rich Arab countries or Russia - with Arabs and Hindi gold is usually the thing)

-women like mixed types, masculine types and feminine types. some women want only "masculine" looking jewelry, and describing something as beeing of f.e."simple, masculine design", sells to them almost immediately.

-some men often want something that is both masculine but doesn`t catch the eye. not bling, but obvious status item on the second look - sophisticated weaves are best.

-women buy more often, but for me, it`s the men that buy expensive masterpieces...for themselves =)

Love it ;)

There is general idea what feminine or masculine is, and that idea may bring some general associations - like feminine is delicate, sophisticated, and masculine is simple and massive, but it is often misleading when selling or designing something for a client.

Some of my personal observations:

-men like "masculine" pieces much more often than "feminine". some would want it more for a status indicator - thick gold (rich) or titanium (strong and rare) pieces are most often "bullseye" for some societies or counties (like rich Arab countries or Russia - with Arabs and Hindi gold is usually the thing)

-women like mixed types, masculine types and feminine types. some women want only "masculine" looking jewelry, and describing something as beeing of f.e."simple, masculine design", sells to them almost immediately.

-some men often want something that is both masculine but doesn`t catch the eye. not bling, but obvious status item on the second look - sophisticated weaves are best.

-women buy more often, but for me, it`s the men that buy expensive masterpieces...for themselves =)

I honestly can say that I am more "girly" now because I like light, simple but bold. Not a heavy piece. That is why I asked what I did.

As for you stating the last part of  " it`s the men that buy expensive masterpieces...for themselves =)" I find that true as well. My father was one of those types. If he was going to find a piece of jewelry he wore all the time it was going to be the best. So kudos for bringing up that point.

16 gauge 1/4 and 3/8 works well for viperbasket in the new sawcut anodized aluminum rings.  I made a rainbow one with the old process in the same size and it was a little tighter than I'd like. 

16 gauge 1/4 and 3/8 works well for viperbasket in the new sawcut anodized aluminum rings.  I made a rainbow one with the old process in the same size and it was a little tighter than I'd like. 

How exactly did your rainbow one look? Just curious. Not a rainbow fan but just wondering about the colors.