Sign in to follow this  
Emils

Cutting fliuds for the Ringinator EZ

Greetings all,

just recently purchased a Ringinator EZ and im trying to determine what a good cutting fluid some of the more experienced craftsman's here would recommend. The Ringinator says to go with a water based fluid, but I'm thinking that can lead to rust on the tool as well as bacteria on the rings if not changed out often.

any advice would be greatly appreciated!

For most metals you can use water and blue dawn.

Use a cone coffee filter also called a #4 coffee filter and then simply toss the fluid.

A lot of oil based cutting fluids are a bit harder to clean off.

As for rust it depends on the alloy of components.

Brass, plastics and such should be fine.

My lathe has an "oiling" diagram and schedule some parts get oil every time it's used, others get oil based on hours of use much like a car or lawn tractor. Martin may have a few options.

Balistol is common for fab shops and good gun stores it has a very special stink.

For most metals you can use water and blue dawn.

Use a cone coffee filter also called a #4 coffee filter and then simply toss the fluid.

A lot of oil based cutting fluids are a bit harder to clean off.

As for rust it depends on the alloy of components.

Brass, plastics and such should be fine.

My lathe has an "oiling" diagram and schedule some parts get oil every time it's used, others get oil based on hours of use much like a car or lawn tractor. Martin may have a few options.

Balistol is common for fab shops and good gun stores it has a very special stink.

Thank you for the reply Losthelm,

Im currently working with galvanized wire, which is another reason im concerned with water based fluids. I'm assuming the coffee filter is to recapture any precious metals you may be working with or are your referring to capturing the cut metals for removal and prolonging your fluids life? When I ordered the cutter from Martin i asked for a list of preferred cutting fluids available here in the US, but got nothing, I'll try shooting him an E-mail and ask again, he prolly didn't see the request when the order came in. 

Thanks again  for replying

well blue dawn and water seem to be working. gave it a shot since i couldn't find any water based fluid

thanks for the advice

My friend who owns a machine shop gave me some Rustlick Ultracut water soluble oil for free when I asked him what he suggested I use. That may or may not be easy to get a hold of on your own, though.