WeepingAngel

What pieces can I sell?

Are there any type of rights or anything for chainmaille patterns? For example, if I buy an instructable for the Dragon on here, can I then sell the pieces that I make on Etsy? Just wondering. . . 

eek run its that discussion... sorry knee jerk reaction.  for the most part basic weaves that there are public tutorials up for like Byz, FP, JPL are fair game.  tutorials that you buy are usually also ok unless they actually say for personal use only(yes some chain mail books and magazines will actually have that) the Dragons I was told are also fair game, but giving credit to the creator and/or tut writer is kind of implied.  in other words don;t claim it as your own, but if you modify it , saying imspired by or based on...is usually good.   this is not to say someone will not try to say you have stolen then design, this happens sometimes even with things you have thought up yourself(or thought you did, lol)  if you see something that doesn't have a tutorial and is not a basic weave, you can ask the person who created if they tell you how they did it, some will say yes some No(some No rather vehemently)  you can also ask if they mind if you try to figure it out yourself, again with varied results.  generally while most chain mail can not be copywrited, a "no" usually means its not a good idea to do the exact thing and even a yes means you should credit the original creator.  I knwo it might not seem likeit but I know I missed a lot and actually answered more then you asked, but I would say "yes" you can sell the dragons, but as always with Etsy...beware others who may have had chain mail dragons previously. be they the same exact pattern/design or not.

I don`t believe in originality, beeing the first one to come up with something is some kind of a merit, of course, but hey - if you are able to copy something by yourself without step-by-step tutition - go for it.

It`s never black and white.

Example - Holywood became film making power mainly by stealing others ideas and patents. Edison was stealing ideas from his employees and made his own patents of them, and in business terms his methods were often quite criminal. But who remembers it now ?

Recently the Chineese became economic power doing exactly the same - stealing ideas and perfecting them.

In business terms it`s always the execution of an idea that matters.

People nowadays are trying to copyright everything, even living cells and organisms - and that`s not only ridiculous, but also dangerous.

I never complain if anyone tries to copy my idea, if one does it better - I`m even happy and try to grasp how it was done.

In Chainmail jewelry there is very little in the way of Originality.  The art is in the choices made: Size, material, patterns. And in the quality of the work.  As far as selling goes REMEMBER YOUR TIME HAS VALUE.  Remember if your selling it is a business, not a "hobby" if you want to make a hobby out of it, give stuff away.

I do have to agree.... You have to factor in a lot of different factors when your pricing maille.   I make sure that I consider materials, time, wear and tare on my equipment, and of course where I'm selling the piece.  If its at a boutique then I add a little more as opposed to online sales, etc.