Yukishiro

Scale Maille Bra Tutorial - Tips for connecting the two pieces??

The scale maille bra tutorial made by Bike Part Jewelry has been my first foray into learning how to work with scales (have had a blast learning and can't wait to learn some chainmail patterns next).  

I've gotten both pieces put together but I'm somewhat apprehensive about the process of weaving the two cups together into one piece since it involves taking out some of the scales that I just put together @_@  

Anyone have any pointers/tips on this step before I just dive in and hope for the best? Thanks! =D

post-32288-0-80850500-1373247110_thumb.jpg

Edited by Yukishiro

I havent seen the BPJ tutorial, but something strikes me about those cups. they seem complete. You have expansion/contraction down the midline of both and seem like this would fit up to a C <maybe some rows around the edges>

Bike Part Jewerly, am I wrong here ? or are those 2 completed cups?

Euar, yes they look to be complete cups. The way I build the scale bras may be counter-intuitive...I build 2 cups, then weave them together. I find it easier to do it that way than to build one cup and then build the other one directly off of it. Maybe I'm not understanding your question?

Yuki- It's really about looking at how the scales go together and using that to remove the small portion of the inner point of one cup. Once it's removed, sit the 2 cups next to each other again and you will see where you need to do the reattachment. 4 rings/1 scale is the general pattern which will help you see where to add the rings to do the attachment.

I hope that helps! :D

Jodey

Edited by bikepartjewelry

Thanks very much for the input Jodey! ^_^  I'm going to dive into it tonight and see what happens, I just have this irrational fear of it all tumbling apart as I start taking things out. lol 
Made my second order for more scales last night.  Since this first project seems to be going well I decided to go ahead and make an entire outfit to wear at Dragon*Con this year.  :biggrin:

Thought I'd update that I was finally able to get around to connecting both sides together.  Took me a few tries, but in the end I think it came together well and stabilizing rings are all in now so only straps left and I can't wait to get it to the wearable point XD

I do have one final question for Jodey (or anyone else if they know the answer =D), at the end of the tutorial where it shows two examples, do you remember what size/gauge ring was used to thread the fabric straps through (on the left example, silver/red/orange bra)?  I'm terrible at judging sizes from my monitor and then translating it to an actual size :)   

post-32288-0-42013400-1374973635_thumb.jpg

The bra looks great!

The rings were probably 16g 3/8 or so, but I'd probably go with 14g or double the 16g rings, just to make sure they don't pull apart (unless you're using stainless, then prob not an issue).

ETA: I've used rings as small as 16g 1/4", so it really depends on what width of string/leather/ribbon  you're using to tie it on.

Edited by bikepartjewelry

Thanks very much! :biggrin:  I'm probably going to go with something similar to the velvet looking material you used in the same example for the straps (if I can find something similar) since it looks soft and easy to tie.    

Thanks very much! :biggrin:  I'm probably going to go with something similar to the velvet looking material you used in the same example for the straps (if I can find something similar) since it looks soft and easy to tie.    

I love that stuff, but I can't find it anymore. :( It's really nice b/c it has a teeny bit of stretch to it, is easy to tie and doesn't tend to come undone.

just a suggestion but I always use solid rings (either magnesite/or the imitation) lucite , wood or gem stone rings, so theat I don;t have to worry about the ribbon or fabric slipping through.  some of the fabric stores near me have strapping material ,in the ribbon/edging sections, I fold them over and sew them together, over the solid ring then use doubled rings to weave the solid ring to where i want the strap.