rustybacon

ring making question

I've been making various ring sizes for a while, but i recently bought a 5/32 mandrel and my rings come out a little tighter than the 5/32 i get from the bags on the site.  Is there a reason why that happened?

A number of reasons.
First question would be, same metal? Different metals often have different springbacks.

Same alloy and temper? Even seemingly the same metal can have different strength characteristics.

Same type of cut? Saw cutting will remove more material than machine, causing the ring to be slightly smaller.

Its usually a temper/alloy difference... however: Same winding method?

If I recall from TRL's youtube videos, their ring shapers force the outer side of the ring for machine cut while they use a drill for saw cut (at least suggested with their vids).

no, not same metal, im comparing the brass wire i bought to their stainless and anodized aluminum rings. (all saw cut).  With what you have said, i guess it could very well  be the minor difference in the cutting of the rings making them tighter because im using a jewelers saw.  Maybe next time i wind them I will find a way to make the rod a little bit thicker, or buy the next rod size up.  Thanks, i knew it could have been something so simple that i just could not think of the issue.

Well - in this particular size, we sort of cheat. Technically, 18532 should have an inner diameter of 0.258 inches, BUT at that size it's just a little bit too tight for Byzantine, the pattern this size is most commonly used for, so we actually make all of our 18532 rings (machine and saw cut) to be between 0.261 and 0.266 inches, aka slightly bigger, so that they work easily for Byzantine. 

ahh i see, cheating the system. im just glad i only coiled about 5ft to make sure i had the right size.  the 18g wire with the 5/32 does do good with the barrel, but for the byzantine i going to ghetto rig the rod to make it a lil bit thicker.  just sucks those fractions of a mm can screw you over.  Also thanks for the timely replys to both of you.