losthelm

Digital credit card processing

Looking for a cheap way to take credit cards at shows.

I have one at the end of the month but need to keep costs down.

I do not own a cell phone. And there is not wifi at the show.

Looking at a trac phone or similar option, that would work with square, intuit, or PayPal type card reader.

Located in the western NY if that makes a difference.

Look up Square.  It costs $10 up front, and costs 2.75% of each sale.  I also think you get your initial $10 back after your first sale.  They work with both Apple and Android devices, so you only need cell coverage, and a smart phone to get into the game.  They will send you a free one, or you can buy them at Starbucks, and many tech store.

https://squareup.com/?gclid=CM2zzbjx9rgCFUuk4Aoda1sAjA

Definitely look into Square!! I use Square and I cannot recommend them enough. It's easy to sign up for and the only fee is a small processing fee on each sale. The reader is free and while you can buy one for $10 at places like Staples it comes with a rebate code for the full amount. I absolutely love Square and being able to take credit cards makes a big difference in show sales. I would also recommend getting a stylus to make it easier for them to sign for the purchase.

I do not own a cell phone. And there is not wifi at the show.

I guess the others have overlooked this..., but, square does work with android tablets and other IOS devices that are not phones. Do you have anyone you know of that has a tablet with 3g or 4g that would let you borrow? I use square with a 3g Galaxy Tab and it works great.

this is the company I use, it is a store and download handheld device that only stores customer info until it is down loaded through a phone line modem when i get home from the shows.,  I got this one because we often have shows/events in places with no cell phone reception or wifi.  there is a monthly fee and a other fees appliy based on the cards accepted but for me it has been worth it.    http://www.1nbcard.com/

It sounds like the cheapest option for intermitant limited use is to invest in a used smart phone, take it to walmart or radio shack and sign up for a tracphone/boost/other No contract monthly service plan. then get the approprate reader directly from Square, paypal, or intuit.

The 1st national payment soluntions sounds fairly easy but not ideal last year I had only one show where i was on my own.

The others all where shared space with credit cards going through the other busness on consignment.

A little more paperwork and a few weeks for payment but fairly painless.

Only one issue I could see with the system that stores the card info until you get home is the fact that, if a card gets declined, well, there goes your product without payment.

yes that is always a possible fear but I have in 3 years only had one declined and make sure to get a phone number with  all signatures.  the one that was declined was paid off by an alternate method on Monday morning.  this was when I also discovered it is sometimes  better to download my transaction on Monday after the banks have have opened.  this was suggested by the helpful person at !st National. and have not had an issue since, the other thing to watch for though is to make sure the name matches (young male with an obvously female name on the card... or the other way around) I will on occasional ask for an ID if I am suspiscious,so far this has only led to one walk away, I don't think the card he was trying touse was his...

Edited by calisandra

That or he was a trans guy. I know I have a big eep moment on my better passing days when people see the legal name on my card which is sadly still female (Not been able to change it yet) and there I am a 6'1" guy standing there and I end up questioned about it. Yeeea, that can be fun to explain on some days XD There's a reason I normally stick to debit when using my card, most people don't ask questions if you know the pin.

I have several transgender friends and most of them have never had an issue when I originally asked, even if the photo on their id was not the gender they were currently representing, you could still tell that the picture was them and if the ID name matches the card that helpstoo,  so I am thinking it was more he didn't want me checking his ID, he was acting squirrely if you know what I mean, kind of like when groups of teenagers start hovering and touching everything while one tries to distract you...My husband actually says I am too trusting of most people who come to my table and has chased away kids trying to lift stretchy bracelets but only once or twice.

Thanks, BlindMaille, for expressing something I wanted to but couldn't come up with good words for. Tons of trans* people can't afford or are otherwise unable to change their documents. 

Sounds like you have a good handle on the different providers that are out there.

If you are considering cell phone based and want to keep costs down, check out Republic Wireless (based on the Sprint Network) or Straight Talk (Verizon, bought at Walmart for example).

The thing I like about Republic Wireless is that they let you move your plan up and down.  Wi-Fi only service is $5 a month.  Unlimited Cell/Data/Text w/ WiFi is $25 a month.   So, if you have a show, change your plan to $25 a month.  If you don't have a show, drop it to $5 a month and use the unlimited calling/text vai Wi-Fi.   This works well for some.   Verizon has better coverage, but not enough better to warrant their crazy fees, so enter their prepaid service Straight Talk.  Verizon 3G network, but only about $45 a month if I recall correctly.

With that being said, I really like the Paypal reader.