Gil-Galad

Hanging an Inlay

Hello community of TheRingLord! It's been a good while since I was here. I have missed this place.

A couple weeks ago, I finished my first inlay! It measured about 42" long and 10" tall when in the "wrong way"/hanging configuration.

IMG_0622.jpg

My mission now is to hang this on my wall. My materials consist of:

- about 1000 green rings
- about 50 white rings
- about 80 gold rings
- a 48" long 1/4" diameter wooden dowel

My original plan was to make byzantine chains of the rings I have left and hang the inlay from the top corners, while using a few rings to bind the wooden dowel to the top edge. After a little thought though, this seems like it would be messy and insufficient. 

Another idea I've had that still allows me to use the byzantine chains is to make a bunch of short chains, maybe 3" each, and attach them at intervals along the top edge, forming doubly-attached loops all along that I can either slip the wooden dowel through, or place over a nail in the wall. The problem I imagine with this though, is that the inlay may sag between each loop. This is disagreeable.

Another option, and likely the best for my needs, is to simply make a fat strip of green rings and attach that to the top, and then reattach the new top edge to a point on the back of the inlay, forming a long loop tunnel thing to hold the dowel. This is likely what I'll end up doing, but it is disappointing that I won't be able to utilize byzantine chains somewhere in this piece.

My question is, I guess, if someone has any advice on this matter or perhaps an idea that I haven't though of that would allow me to get the best of both worlds - hanging neatly and using byzantine chains.

What ring size did you use? For my e4in1 avaintails I use hp3in1 to stiffen the edge.

This may give you something to attach the Byzantine loops to and limit distortion due to gravity between the loops.

Running a piece of drill rod or stainless through the last row of rings may do the same job and be a little faster.

Often I see other inlay pieces stitched to cloth to avoid distortion and provide contrast to the rings.

If you look closely at the weave Flat Byz 4in1 Tube, you will notice that the center is E4:1 and the outside sets up a byzantine connection. As it looks like you have about 100 rings across, you should be safe ringwise. You could then stagger the placement of the byz chains every 5 intervals or so.

I wonder if "heavy fabric wall hangings" would give any further insight from google...

I have experience in this from quilting. Quilts are both heavy and delicate so they are most protectively hung using a sleeve of fabric stitched on the top back of the quilt to ensure even weight distribution. This prevents stitches or fabric from being torn apart as well as sagging. Unfortunately, it also causes a slight bulge at the top, the size of which depends on the size of the hanging rod.

Another option is to frame your piece using eye-hooks screwed into a picture frame. You can either attach the inlay to the eye-hooks using small chains (your Byz idea) or something like leather lacing/thong. This is much like stretching a hide. Because you are stretching relatively evenly around the entire piece, you won't get sagging. An advantage is that the wall is protected from any movement of the rings that might damage the surface.

Edited to add: I tend to use curtain rods designed for the weight.

Edited by Brimley's Mom

Thank you all for the advice and kind words.

The words are pronounced, "Alhamd'Allah." That translates to "thank God," or "praise be to God." It has taken on a deeper meaning for me in the last few years of life.

I really like the flat Byzantine idea. I'm thinking of making the entire top edge like that, and then maybe getting a long, flat strip of wood to place behind the too edge. I would then nail little nails through the top edge at intervals into the wood, and hang the wood from the wall. Hopefully the byzantinized edge hold up and prevents sagging. I'm also considering the half-Persian idea for the edge. Both provide an aesthetically pleasing and yet functional option.

Also, my ring size is 16g 1/4". The wooden dowel I have doesn't fit through them. It was only $0.75 anyhow. If I need to I'll get another one.

On second thought, after trying a stretch of the HP3-1 edge (being pretty confident that I'm doing it right), my rings are too tight for this. By the time I get the E4-1 connector rings onto the chain, the thing is so tight that the second ring won't even go. It's a solid hunk of rings. I will try byzantine.

Ah, yeah, to do an HP 3-1 edge on E4-1 you tend to need a higher AR. Do you happen to have any 18g 1/4" on hand? I've not done it in a few years, but I *think* that should work without much bunching, or else hop up to 5/16"