mimic

Headdress piece

Hi I am looking to make a headdress piece but unsure how to go about making the top (crown of head) piece.

I am uncertain if making that piece from the chainmaille aspect or if I should use a different media.

Does anyone have suggestions?

Thanks. Do I go according to their sizes of gauges for a "delicate" headpiece?

It will work for any gaue and wire size.  I have used it with everything from 24 gauge 1/16" id to 14 gauge 5/8" ID.

Lighter gauges make more delicate pieces, heavier gauges for armor coifs (I've even used it to make a cahinmaille frisbee). :)

Edited by Kittensoft_Chainmail

it depends do you want a coif or something more open like...309438_503340263016919_911375062_n.jpg

Yes that is more like what I wanted to do but not the beads. I mean I have a few lengthy chains made but I didn't know how you connected the top. The one that Kittensoft suggested is a bit heavy.

How do you have your's made?

I would suggest using a larger ring to connect all of the chains together.  That ring will become the center or focus (may ot actually be on the exact center if your chains are not all the same length)

When you said crown in the first post I thought you were wanting a small roundish piece to use as the focal.  Sorry about my misunderstanding. :(

When using  a light gauge and small ring it can work well.  Also, if you use the method in the link, you don't have do more than a couple of rows out.  It doesn't have to be that big, the tutorial is assuming you are making a coif, which is why it's so big.

I would suggest using a larger ring to connect all of the chains together.  That ring will become the center or focus (may ot actually be on the exact center if your chains are not all the same length)

When you said crown in the first post I thought you were wanting a small roundish piece to use as the focal.  Sorry about my misunderstanding. :(

When using  a light gauge and small ring it can work well.  Also, if you use the method in the link, you don't have do more than a couple of rows out.  It doesn't have to be that big, the tutorial is assuming you are making a coif, which is why it's so big.

Well I was more in a big debate what would be less of a migraine causer. I still don't know exactly which one but I am definitely going to try both. The worse is that I have an extra display piece that can later be sold.

Thanks I was wondering if it was in an assumption of such.

Thanks for the info. I am grateful to learn WHERE I can purchase the head. LOL my local "beauty" supplies store said they don't carry them much. Thanks

@ KittenSoft.. Not sure where one could be around here but I will check it out.

j_betts. Actually I just checked and the female heads are going for about 4 dollars whereas the male ones for 10 dollars. However thank you for telling me about Amazon. I totally forgot to check there.

I've also seen another type of head piece that is really easy.  

Here is a picture of the type I'm talking about: http://www.etsy.com/listing/82539424/chainmail-headdress-in-16-gauge?ref=sr_gallery_7&ga_search_type=all&ga_includes%5B0%5D=tags&ga_page=1&ga_search_query=chainmail+headdress&ga_ref=related&ga_view_type=gallery

Make a single row band of E4in1 to go around the head.

Build dags (triangles) off that band going both up and down.

Connect the dags on one side using chains so that they connect in the center of the circle

Nice, simple, yet still looks good.  I wouldn't use 16 gauge galvanized though, for a decorative headpiece I would stick with 18 gauge or less.  To much chance of it causeing a headache without some kind of padded under garment.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

I have actually worn a full coif made from 18g 3/16 stainless and since the weight spreads out pretty evenly it really doesn't feel that bad, I am pretty sure a decorative one that is more open will be even lighter,  another option is a balloon, or a minion's head, lol  yes I will use my minions as stand ins for manekins whenever necessary, lol

Nice, simple, yet still looks good.  I wouldn't use 16 gauge galvanized though, for a decorative headpiece I would stick with 18 gauge or less.  To much chance of it causeing a headache without some kind of padded under garment.

I was just using it as an example of the project style, not materials.  I totally agree about materials.  Galvy is great for armor, but I wouldn't use it for anything I would want to call pretty.