bikepartjewelry

The new Tronex Pliers

I bought 2 pairs of the new Tronex pliers and got them a couple days ago. I never thought I'd leave my Lindstroms as my every day pliers, but I'm seriously considering it. The Tronex pliers are awesome.

I don't usually do a lot in stainless, but so far with these new pliers I've made 2 bracelets in 16g stainless. Also, I'm working on scale epaulettes (with stainless rings) for an order and using the Tronex pliers for that.

I think what I really like about them is the jaw (which, coincidentally, is the reason I love my Lindstroms - as well as the spring in them). It's wide, but not obnoxious; but specifically they have a "low profile" jaw, so it's really thin at the tips. That's something I've not found in other wide nose pliers I have. The thinness gives the ability to get into some pretty tight places. Big bonus for me is that I can use these with larger rings and avoid the lovely finger gouging that comes with ring slippage. Hasn't happened once, and I've been doing a lot of mailling the past few days.

Anyway, just thought I'd give my 2 rings on these really nice new pliers. They're worth the investment.

Has anyone else tried them yet?

Edited by bikepartjewelry

Mine should be here on Wednesday. I'm looking forward to trying them with stainless. The ones I use for stainless now cause my hands to fatigue and blister after a short time - even with gloves. With any luck these will fit a lot better.

Also, I use a smaller pair dipped in Tool-Dip when I'm working with larger anodized aluminum rings. These look like they'll disperse the pressure enough that I can use them without modification and won't scratch the coating off the rings. 

If they work well in either of these cases I'll be happy.

Imisplaced a pair of pliers this weekend (was not intentional any way :innocent: ) and told my husband if I didn't find them I would need to buy new ones...the darned man found them.

My fiance has not the skills of your husband so i "loose" and find my pliers after i buy new ones :)

I wasn't terribly impressed with the tronex pliers. My usual medium is 16g 5/16th Stainless and I find the grip strength seems to light the metal is a bit on the flexible side and the nose is exceedingly thin.I just don't feel like it's got the gumption to close those pesky rings with a wider gap. I find that my home-modified knippex are much better for working long term.   I think that the tronnex would be ideal or finer work particularly on anodized aluminum and other items with fragile surfaces.

Nice pliers. Comfortable grips but could be longer for me. Unfortunately mine bent at the corners of the jaw which make them useless for getting into tight spaces. If the jaws were harder I'd buy a few more pairs.

All that said, they still work nicely on larger (18316 +) rings that you don't need the corners of the jaws for.

Lindstroms are still my favorite pliers for smaller finer work though.