Fungi

The dragon scale tie.

I am curious about the dragonscale ties and would really like to see some additional pictures. Sort of illustrating the difference between the fine and the micromaille versions, as well as how subtle/prominent any color on the inside layer will actually be. Since I guess the image provided by trl is black on the inside?

Does anyone have any additional insight (or pictures if you actually made one) on this? Thank you in advance.

I have also for a while wanted to see some difference in pictures from the Fine to Micromaille. I couldnt find anything on the web so decided to make both. Reviving this thread, for in the next do or two, I will take some side my side pics of the Micro and Fine mail for compairison, and I will also show some shots that will the difference in colors showing through (from black/blue and red) for anyone that is interested.

I have also for a while wanted to see some difference in pictures from the Fine to Micromaille. I couldnt find anything on the web so decided to make both. Reviving this thread, for in the next do or two, I will take some side my side pics of the Micro and Fine mail for compairison, and I will also show some shots that will the difference in colors showing through (from black/blue and red) for anyone that is interested.

That sounds interesting! I haven't thought of making a tie until now, lol.

Thanks!

That would be awesome. I ended up getting the micromaille in blue (about a third of the way completed now!), but I would still appreciate seeing the comparisons. Thank you.

Pictures are a tad blury, I think my hand was a bit shaky, just did about 3 hours of mailing, let me know if you are interested in any particular shots, as long as I still have the normal DS I will post compairison (main goal is to sell normal DS but the MicroDS is for me)

In case you can not tell, the Black is Micro, the Blue is normal.

ResizedImage_1398300646968.jpg

ResizedImage_1398300686963.jpg

ResizedImage_1398300635944.jpg

ResizedImage_1398300677423.jpg

overlap

ResizedImage_1398300662041.jpg

ResizedImage_1398300654023.jpg

Final thoughts, side by side, the Micromaile is superior. The Micromaile also feels WAY better, it feels like an actual cloth were as the regular DS feels more like maile. With that said, if they are not side by side, I dont think you could tell a big difference. I would say considering you are easily doubling your time with Micro, the Micro is more of something to have if you are extremely particular or want the bragging rights.

Once again let me know if you need additional pics, my camera skills were not very well tonight. Also as anyone who works with DS knows, you can never appriciate the full beauty until seen in person.

Edited by Daemora

I think I agree that the micro looks better. I would think any color used would be more predominant also. I may have to look into this.

Thank you,

Tom

Daemora, how is your red micromaille tie coming along? I am extremely interested in seeing how the micro looks with a colored inside layer. Also, with regular neckties, the part that goes under your collar (what's the word for this) is just a flat piece of cloth. On the dragon scale tie, isn't this part kind of thick? I'm just wondering if it would cause the collar to bulge out, especially at the back of the neck.

Thanks for the pictures you've already provided, they're very helpful

Edited by pinfin

Pinfin, I actually haven't touched dragonscale in a bit, main focus at the moment is to finish up my scale tunic, which hopefully, be done in the next week or two. Also the red is just the regular dragonscale, not micromaile. Considering how long the micromaile took me, I do not see me doing another for quite a while. But after I get pics up of my finished tunic, I will get to work on the red Dragon.

As far as the part that goes under the collar, I followed TRL instructions and did a 6-1 persian. It looks really nice and is very strong (think of it like a necklace under the collar). But it is a tad bit bulky, but I have not had an issue. Any standard chain necklace weave should work, if you are worried about bulk under the collar.

Got more pics (better quality as well) on just the micromaile (black one) here is my other thread http://www.theringlord.org/forum/index.php?/topic/12250-first-time-with-chaindragonscalemicromaille-tie-pic-heavy/

Edited by Daemora

Great, I think for my micromaille I will go with black, too. What kind of pliers did you use for the micromaille? Will the cheap thin-nose pliers from TRL work well for this, or is it worth it getting the more expensive ones? I've never worked with chainmail before.

Considering ring size and material about any skinny plier will do. I didnt want to wait on shipping time from TRL and I have just been using some ones I bought as sears. I bought 2 sets of these, so it would cover about anything I want to do, hard to beat that price (especially considering I got them on sale so it was below this advertised price) http://www.sears.com/craftsman-evolv-6-pc-mini-pliers-set/p-00910060000P?sid=IDx01192011x000001&kpid=00910060000&kispla=00910060000P

I have wanted to try (but haven't yet) using the micromaile ring spec on the outskirts of the expansion to try and feather it out some, not sure how it would look though

I don't have the appropriate rings to check, but depending on how obvious it is, inserting an expansion in the middle of the tie where you want it to expand could work and keep the edges even.

http://www.mailleartisans.org/articles/articledisplay.php?key=495

Thank you.  I have not ordered the DS tie kit as I do not like the expansions.  For now, I am working a tie in European 4-1 with leftover rings.  I tried putting the expansions in the middle as well as just inside the edges and they still disrupt the look of the fabric so I reverted to the outside expansions. I think I will order some smaller matching rings and try to add 1 or 2 to blend the expansion a bit more.

I am trying to make the fine size one. So far I am one inch down and fitting the small rings in is tough. Did you find any good speedweaving tricks for this?