sir_osis

filler rods

So here's a question....are the 5356 filler rods they sell for use with tig welders the same stuff as what i'd buy on a 20lb spool??  if so, has anyone here tried using it as a discount option for 5356 rings?

I use TIG welding rods for a ton of my work. As long as there is no flux incorporated it is essentially the same as the spool wire. Welding metals also have to be better in their alloy mixes as far as purity which has been a big appeal to me.

When I work with stainless it's exclusively Mig welding wire bought by the spool.  It has a much higher structural interity than a matching gauge galvy wire  It's hard to cut, but a good sharp pair of aviation snips works really well, at least for the 18 gauge wire I use.  I haven't used larger gauges of this wire, so I can't s[peak to how hard it would be to wrap or cut, but it would have a long life and hold up much better than galvanized wire.

You might have trouble wroking with it to begin with, but as your arm strength improves it gets much easier.

Just my 2 cents worth, I hope it helps.

Yes it's the same alloy and works about the same.

The TIG rods have been work headend a bit more and have a lot more loss due to the 36" lengths and the alloy and batch number stamped on each end.

Some manufactures flag the rod with paper labels, and a few use an ink jet type labeling along the rod.

As the wire is all cut to 36" you also end up with very short coils.

the lenght isn't really an issue with me cause my only other alternative is a 20lb spool at $100 a shot that might be hard to justify to the lil' lady.  whereas i could spend $20 on a small pack of filler rods and it would produce quite a bit of rings.  ok they'd be short coils lol

oh this'll definitely be limited run to get my finances to a position where I can afford the big spool

and i don't see there being too much waste.  i'm pretty good at coiling and cutting

I have found that it is easier to justify purchasing larger quantities wire when I plan on making a lot of one type of maille.  For instance if I am making a good amount of armor at one time, its just smarter to buy my wire in bulk.

Oh i'm gonna be making myself a newcuirass, leggings too perhaps.  and i'd rather they be large gauge aluminum.  the galvy was just too heavy to be comfy.  

Plus i get enough call for stuff in 16 and 14 g aluminum that I could pay off the spool in short order.  it's just getting that initial sale to pay for the first spool lol