#1 Malkavian

Malkavian

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:03 AM

A bag of 16g 7/32" that I recently got that should be Bright Silver was indeed silver in color, but it seemed a bit dull when I picked up the bag. At first I thought I had gotten some Bright Aluminum by mistake, but when I opened the bag and compared with some Bright Alu I can see it is slightly whiter, so it must be anodized. 

It's almost as if there's a slight coating on it that hinders the usual sparkly shine. Had it been Bright Aluminum, I would say it needed a good tumble. ;-) 

I'm not at all happy with it, since this makes it difficult to use in combination with other sizes of Bright Silver. While it's not a huge difference, it is noticable when comparing with other rings and (for example) a graduated Byzantine chain looks rather bad when the focus point is duller than the rest. 

I wonder if it's only my bag (SXAA16732silver) that was this way, of if it's the whole batch?

#2 PlutoniumX

PlutoniumX

Freelance Superhero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationLost Somewhere

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:10 PM

My batch was like that too. 

#3 Bernice Daniels

Bernice Daniels

The Ring Lady (Enabler)

• Administrators
  • 2,360 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:20 PM

The entire batch is like this - I do not have any that are shinier.

Although it is not dull it is not as mirror finish as the other bright silver. 

We didn't even notice until we put them side by side with other bright silver as you noted. 

There is now a note on the site. 

#4 Bernice Daniels

Bernice Daniels

The Ring Lady (Enabler)

• Administrators
  • 2,360 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:55 PM

I just had this explained to me and I think the seal layer is cloudy. The wire is shiny the seal layer is just cloudy. 

Grant said he would talk to the anodizer about this and step up checks to catch it if it happens again.

Its the first time I've seen this. 

#5 Malkavian

Malkavian

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:42 AM

That's too bad.

I half hoped it was only my bag somehow.

So now I'll just have to wait for 800 bags to be bought until I get a new one. :coffee:  :hope:

(And yes, cloudy is a better description of this than dull. I had a felling I could describe it better, but couldn't think up a good word. Oh, well, English is not my first language..)

#6 calyx

calyx

one ring at a time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • LocationDarwin, Australia

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:50 AM

I just came here to complain about the same thing. The 16g 7/32" AA silver looks like galvy to me - very dull. It's useless to me and I wish it had been picked up earlier so that a note could have been put on the site. I understand batches sometimes significantly vary in quality and shade - but I do expect to be informed about them before I buy.

The pale yellow in 16g 3/8" is so dull that it can't be called bright - it's clearly matte. I wish I had been informed about this too before buying, as that shade is only good glossy for me. The pale yellow 16g 1/4" I purchased, on the other hand, is fine. As I live on the other side of the world, and UPS pulled a dodgy on me this time (!!@%!!!), I really don't want to return the dud rings.

Everything else is perfect.

Edited by calyx, 15 November 2013 - 03:53 AM.

#7 calyx

calyx

one ring at a time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 04:58 AM

A few other shades in the 16g 7/32" are also "off" - though nowhere near as badly as the silver. I'm a bit picky but only because the quality of TRL's bright process rings (compared to other AA manufacturers) is usually superb.

Thanks for putting a note up about the silver.

#8 azbaron

azbaron

Iron Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:25 PM

I must have gotten a little luckier...On the rings that I just got last week one side is "cloudy and one side is shiny, workable but have to pay attention to which way I weave the rings.

Is that what I think it is...

#9 calyx

calyx

one ring at a time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:32 PM

I haven't noticed this in the 16g 7/32" silver I have, they seem cloudy on both sides to me, but this is definitely noticeable on the batch of 14g 3/8" silver I have - I had to weave with the "right" side up. Some of my 16g 1/4" rings are a bit like this too though most are perfect. I hope this is getting ironed out - certainly the colour variations are getting smaller over time, so I hope the cloudiness is getting its due attention at the manufacturing end too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users