Pliers and wires

Tronex pliers feedback - a bit disappointed in quality

Out of the box the new Tronex pliers are really nice, but after a while I found myself wishing the handles were about an inch longer. On the down side, the jaws seem very 'soft'. I noticed after slipping off a few rings in tight spots that the corners of the jaws bent out a bit. This was just with 18g aluminum.

Gotta say I am a little disappointed that I need to fix a new set of pliers.

Time for some feedback from me too - I must say that I actually love these pliers...

...but I just broke one. Just snapped in my hand, closing 14g AA. I mail professionally, so my tools see more rings than most, but these are fairly new - My guess would be a stress fracture in the steel or something, as it really just kind of flaked apart. I've never touched stainless thicker than 16 with these, and never even aluminum thicker than 14. I have plenty of tools for different situations, and I have been doing this long enough to know how to treat my tools, so I can only conclude a manufacturers defect.  I mean, I've broken pliers before, but never on any ring this soft, and never pliers I spent more than $10 on.

So, I guess my question is: What sort of warrantee is available on these? I probably only had 6 weeks worth of use out of them.

post-765-0-18264400-1385365534_thumb.jpg

post-765-0-53718300-1385365539_thumb.jpg

post-765-0-15082200-1385365542_thumb.jpg

I think when you say "the jaws bent out a bit" you are referring to the bevel on the edge of the jaw. This is done on purpose to prevent marring the metals you are opeing and closing. The slight bevel means the sides of the jaw will not cut into the material. 
The handles are a little cushy - and do take getting used to if you are used to a more solid grip. It is however a trade off - ergonomic versus not. 

This is the longest handle Tronex offered for these pliers. 

Crazy on the jaw snapping! There is full warrantee for this happening. You have to contact Tronex directly though. 

http://www.tronextools.com/

What I meant was the corner of the jaws are bent out wards so they do not contact at the corner when fully closed. They look like they have been to war after only a few hundred aluminum rings.

The jaw material is definitely softer than my lindstroms which look brand new after thousands of aluminum and stainless rings.

I have the same issue with the soft jaws. I bought two pairs and have been using them on 20g aluminum and titanium. The jaw tips do look pretty scratched up for their age. I don't slip on rings or grasp the cut part of the rings. Sometimes the rings stick to the jaws because of the rough surface that has formed. Mine also bend at the jaw corners like the poster above, but I bent them back flat.

It's strange really, I was wondering how long they would last like this. I've only had mine since the 19th.

post-13293-0-52170800-1385594135_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gil-Galad

Just so I understand correctly, Tronex is saying that it's possible to wear out a pair of pliers bending 14 and 16g chainmail rings? I must have read that incorrectly.

Getting back to my original post about bending the pliers on 18g aluminum rings, I can start to see how the Tronex rep is saying their pliers might not last 6 weeks. 6 weeks? Really? I have a pair of wubbers ( hate the name btw) that I have cranked many many many stainless and titanium rings with and curiously they still look newer than my essentially new Tronex. Not to mention my Lindstroms that except for the stupid spring falling out constantly are still in new condition after much more use than the bent Tronex.

IMHO if 6 weeks is the life expectancy and 18g aluminum bends the jaws, perhaps there's a problem with the pliers. Maybe these are isolated instances and there are thousands of pairs in use out there problem free. If that's the case you would think the customer service would be a whole lot better than telling someone they used them too much and to avoid excessive force.

OK my little rant is over.

I hope everyone that bought these pliers has many years of happy trouble free use, and if anyone wants to buy a near new pair with bent jaws..............

P&W:

That 6 weeks figure is probably a little misleading. I probably put more mileage on a pair of pliers in 6 weeks than most people do in a year - I close a LOT of rings in a day, every day. I'm also a little saddened by the QC issues; however, I treated these Tronex the same way as I treat my XL wubbers, which is fairly unforgiving - I can wear out a set of wubbers in 4-6 months of use at most. If I treated them like my Lindstrom rx 7490s, they would still be working and working well.

Give me a price on the used 745s, I'm interested. How severe is the jaw bending? Better/worse than Gil's pictures up the thread?

We are currently weaving the movie project and about 250000 ring into it. The rings we are weaving are 12g  aluminum. There are currently about 8 Tronex pliers that have been responsible for weaving this amount - 1 of these pliers has broken. 

We do not feel it is acceptable for ANY to break. 

Please do not jump to any conclusions while we work with Tronex to see what solution will be best. We will definitely update everyone once we have discussed with Tronex.

I have found them to be extremely soft as well.

I wasn't paying attention and the two ends of the flat pliers hit one another when closing a 14g AA ring and it wrecked the both of them.

I had to bring them to the place where I have my Harley worked on in order to get them right again. LoL they build bikes there so they had everything we needed to get them together again. And this wasn't even the first issue I've had with the metal moving on me.

As far as them being comfortable I would give them a 10/10 

Availability 6/10 

Durability 3/10 at best

Pliers getting trashed by aluminum pretty much means they suck imo.

I'll use them but I'm looking around for something better. With any luck I will be able to switch grips.

I notice there is now a note that Tronex recommends their pliers for 16g aluminum and thinner.

Hmmmmmmm.

I guess this is to address the handle breaking issues.

I also see that they are out of stock. I wonder if they are sold out or they stopped selling because there was a problem.

On a side note, I bought a large padded carabiner at the dollar store and used the foam tube on the handle of an old set of Wubbers. Magic!

post-52318-0-11115700-1387821938_thumb.jpg

Any updates on this issue? I just snapped one of the two pairs I traded in to Tronex. It's looking like the life expectancy of these pliers, considering my workload, is about 7-8 weeks. I'm assuming the other will go shortly, as last time this happened they gave out within a couple days of each other.

I've been a little gentler to this set than the last; I used them with AA and niobium exclusively, and no AA thicker than 14. Any stainless or 12g AA, I used the Wubbers.

I'm a little hesitant to contact Tronex again, until I hear back here. The response from my last email (above in this thread) was a little disheartening.

I see that these pliers aren't listed on the tools stock page, is TRL still carrying them?

Do we have anybody who has been using these for heavier gauge (12g - 18g, or so) sterling, who has had any issues?  I'm not personally interested in weaving tens of thousands of rings with these, but I love my flat nose long handled tronex pliers for my jewelry work, and a heftier pair for the heftier gauges would be fantastic.  It sounds like y'all are thinking about discontinuing them?  How about just rebranding them for hefty jewelry work?  It sounds like the people with the issues are putting them through way more strain than I would, or people like me.

Thanks for your time! :)