Clockworktheif

Plastic Rings: Which is best and strongest

Hello everyone,

I am working on a project, quite an ambitious one at that, and need some help. I am making a jacket, from a game I play (Sindome), which is the equivalent of a leather jacket with a hardened plastic chain mail layer on the outside. It is stab proof and blade resistant. I'm making it either way, but I'd like to try to make it as close to game as possible, being hopefully strong enough to slow or stop an actually blade, if not, a nice cosplay or Larp one.

What I truly require is, what weave would be best for this purpose, even if it doesn't work (to make it look as if it would work), is it possible to paint the rings, and if so, with what, and finally any tips for a beginner in this art.

Here is the description of the jacket from the game: A dark grey jacket composed of sturdy interwoven plastic rings. The inside is lined with a soft synth-leather, allowing for comfort and movement to its wearer. Each of the jacket's full length sleeves sport a black holographic logo on the upper shoulder, symbolizing it as a neXus product.

Any help would be appreciated. I aim to order at least one bag of whichever plastic is agreed upon to practice before making a full investment on the product, to practice and such.

I hope this is enough info to help

Thank you

Clockworktheif

As for weave I'd go with a simple European 4in1, for this project.  If you want to have it look tighter you might want to try a 6in1 weave instead, but it can become rigid very easily.  Instead of painting the rings I think dying the white ones gray will last longer without touch ups.  

The clear rings would be strongest as long as you follow the heat treating instructions in your oven after you assemble the shirt.

Thank you so much for the help. What kind of dye should I use? About to order a sample bag to try out the weaves

Thank you

The delrin rings can be dyed using Rit dye.  The stuff is really common, and can be found in many grocery stores.

The clear rings would be strongest as long as you follow the heat treating instructions in your oven after you assemble the shirt.

And as proven by another mailler, you can spray the rings to give them any color

On 12/6/2013 at 7:12 PM, lorenzo said:

Would you be able to link the heat-treating instructions for the rings for those of us who don't know where to look?