mobiuskerf

Question about new pliers

I've had my pliers for a few years and while I adore them they're getting pretty worn down. I'd really like to get some new ones in the new year and maybe try a different brand. The only kind I've ever used are Ikohe "goldsmith pliers extra fine pointed 1mm" which are chain nose pliers as far as I can tell with no teeth and a light spring (couldn't find them on their website.) I mostly work with 18g rings and smaller in BA/AA/copper and love tight AR stuff. The selection on TRL is amazing and I think I know what I want but I'm a hands-on person and it's hard to tell without using them which I'd be most comfortable with. Based on the information given, could I please get some suggestions on which I should try?

Thank you in advance!

Thank you! I have a lot of good semi-local options for craft pliers but since I'm doing a TRL order anyway I was curious about their options (although I'll definitely check out Beadalon.) I was especially curious about the custom TRL and Knipex Electronics Pliers - Chain Nose/Tronex Premium Chain Nose (I have small hands so I don't know how that'll affect it). Also I've never worked with wide nose... Lots of curiosity and not nearly enough experience with variety! :sweat:

For working with small, even tiny, rings don't go wide nose.  You'll lose the ring in the jaws.

The Beadalon pliers have smaller handles, almost too small for my hands as I have large hands, but they are ergo handles and that helps a lot!

I have no experience with the pliers TRL sells, for most things I just use pliers I get at Lowes or Harbor Freight.  Silly of me, but I think paying $40 or more for a a pair, when I can get a comfortable well working pair for $10 -15 is wasting my money (no offense TRL just my opinion).  The pliers I use for galvy and stainless are the same ones I got in a gift pack from my Dad when I got my first place almost 30 years ago, and they are still going strong!  The one I use for AA and bright are the Beadlon and they work beautifully for me.

Plus, if you buy locally, you get the chance to hold them in your hands before laying out cash.  Always a bonus in my opinion. :)

Hope this helps!

Xuron 475's... The *only* plier I recommend.

I should note, that I don't really work in 16g or bigger anymore, so they're probably useless there...

I use them from 18g all the way down to 32g.

TRL sells them as: Xuron Short Nose Plier (KX475)

$9.95 a pair, and they blow EVERY other plier I've ever tried, even in the $50 range, out of the water.

Edited by Daemon_Lotos

I've got a pair of the regular Ringlord pliers and the Bent nose ones.  I love them for doing aluminum, I use it for 16 to 22 guage.  I also have a pair of harbor freight Lineman Pliers I use for 16guage SS.  I've had no issues with them, but I haven't tried any of the other pliers to give a good comparision.

I use the Xuron 475's for thinner gauges and I'm pretty happy with them. I'd like some micro-micro ones though. For thicker, I use some generic bent nose ones covered in tool dip for AA, Trojan ergonomic bent nose, no teeth for other materials, and occasionally break out some toothed ones for steel. I think I'll go for the modified ergonomic Knipex when they come back in stock, to tackle hard materials, especially if I do any thicker gauge titanium or steel on a regular basis.