corythreatt

breaking titanium rings

I'm working with 18ga 1/4" saw cut Titanium (purchased from TRL) and I'm having a lot of issues with the rings snapping in half. I'm being especially careful not to overwork them but, to get anything close to a decent closure, I'm losing about 30% of my rings.

I've tried squeezing the ends just pay each other before closing and the results weren't any better.

I'm working on a JPL piece and trying to get the new ring past 2 others causes me to have to open more than the rings can handle.

Any tips on getting nice closures and not breaking rings so frequently?

Thanks!

What do you mean you are squeezing the rings? How are you opening/closing them?

I've never worked with titanium, so maybe it's suuuuper different, but I hardly ever have my aluminum rings break. My immediate thought is that you might be closing them incorrectly. Hopefully someone with titanium experience can answer you.

Titanium is a different beast altogether. Aluminum is a lot softer and I've never had issues with aluminum rings breaking either.

Opening/closing technique isn't the issue as that is being done properly. Because the usual way of opening/closing was either not yielding a good closure or was snapping the rings, as a possible way around having to force the ends together while closing, I tried squeezing the rings from the sides to get the ends to overlap slightly before opening/closing. The idea behind that was to not have to force a good closure (by applying more inward pressure than usual) as that, too, was causing the rings to break.

I've tried holding as much of the ring as possible to holding as little as possible. Small hands vs. 16ga titanium only allows me so much leeway. I seem to get the best results, as far as closure, when I have more of the ring in the pliers.

It seems the biggest breakage issue arises if there is any need of a little back and forth to get a nice-looking, gapless closure. It only breaks when I open it too far but opening less gives me less room when closing to coax the ends together.

Is there a best way, regarding how much of the ring is moving, to close? I'll give anything a shot.

As I said before, this is the first metal/size combination I've had this problem with. I may just have to suck it up and be ok with a small gap since it's saw-cut...? The OCD perfectionist in me will lose some sleep over that, though.

Thanks.

I have had luck griping the section either side of the cut and manipulating the ring from that point.

I'm useing craftsman flat noses mini pliers & TRL chain nosed pliers with about 1/2" cut off the tips.

Zili uses a different type of pliers tapers the end to about a 60 angle and cuts a small grove to hold the ring as things go together.

For machine cut TI my gaps are about as thick as a grocery bag.

Sounds like you're exceeding the minimum bend radius in that part of the ring. The only way to consistently keep the rings from fracturing is to anneal or normalize them to reduce the internal stresses. Barring that you'll just have to reduce the amount that you're opening them.

working almost exclusively in titanium, i can tell you you're either doing something wrong, or TRL got a majorly bad batch of titanium (and i missed it).  the only time i break rings is if i try to reuse the same ring about 5 times, or if i'm trying to make clasps from links.  making simple clasps uses your "squeezing the rings from the sides" technique, and that is not a good way to manipulate a ring - puts almost all the bending pressure on point opposite the opening.  you theoretically want to grasp the ring as close to the ends as you can to try to distribute the force across as much of the ring as possible.  that said, making a simple closure should never create enough force to break a "fresh" ring.

i'm confused at what you're doing, though.  are you using 18 ga (as your original post says), or 16 ga (as your last post says)?  and how are you making jpl with either of those?  the aspect ratio for these rings will not work for jpl... 1614 is too high for jpl3 and too low for jpl5; and 1814 is usually a bit too high for jpl5.