calyx

Darwin or Melbourne, Australia

Haha this thread is a joke, bowl me over backwards if anyone responds. Anyone in Melbourne tho wanna connect? I'm often there.

I've moved to Melbourne now! There's gotta be some locals who swing by, say hi if you are! Do you buy supplies internationally much, locally or make your own rings? How's the dollar drop affected you? How's the scene for you and do you sell? What's your favourite metals and styles? (I'm planning on doing some markets at some point, and moving online too. I prefer to buy most of my supplies from internationally but the devaluation of the AUD does suck. I love AA & SS but thinking of doing more copper and silver, and perhaps anodised titanium/niobium. Wondering if there's any local renfaire equivalents to check out?)

Hi, I'm in Melbourne!

Currently I only make scale mail items. Can't say I've ever thought of meeting up with anyone to discuss this hobby, but I'm game to if you;d like.

Hello! I'm knee deep in newborn-land so definitely not up for meatspace meeting atm.

However, hi! :) What do you make and do you ever sell it?

I've sold some stuff when I was in Darwin and most people were pretty unfamiliar with chainmaille and scalemaille. Melbourne probably similar have you found? Sounds like some places especially the US there's a lot of maillers around but not here?

Shipping's pretty exxy from Canada isn't it, but in large lots I find it cheaper than the local supplier, plus better range.

I've just ordered a whole lot of (mostly AA) scales, I've made some scale pieces before but I'm going to start making some larger scalemaille pieces, tackle the bra pattern from TRL, some big collars, bracers, stuff like that. I figured out how to make stretch scalemaille with rubber rings but it's time consuming and doesn't have a lot of give so I don't know how useful it is.

Hi,

I have these dolls that are proportionate to humans, but scaled down to varying degrees. So based off ahealthy 180cm tall male, there are 1/2 scale dolls- 90cm, 1/3 scale dolls- 60cm, 1/4 scale- 45cm, and so on. I got into scale mail as I wanted to make the dolls armour. I have made a couple of things, but haven't looked to sell any. Maybe with the new tiny scales, I will look to do so.

I can't say I know a lot of mailers, mostly because I didn't get into this hobby for the art of making items, more for what I can make my dolls, so I've never sought anyone else out who may live nearby. That said, I do have some very artsy friends, most of whom have experimented with mail. Some are cosplayers and one takea part in weekly swordfighting events in Melbourne, so armour is needed.

I definitely prefer to buy from TheRingLord. Even with the expence of shipping, overall it will work out cheaper than the Aussie re-sellers. Plus, I find the Aussie stores take the items sold in bulk by TheRingLord and then sell them off in lots of 20 or 50. And when talking ring and scale mail, 20-50 pieces aren't going to get you very far.

Good luck with the bra! Hope it works out! What colours are you going to make it with?