L.T.

Quick video showing how I coil and the Score and Break method.

So what you are doing is essentially instead of applying full force in brute to snip through the spring, you twist around the wire while applying force, and then you snap it over?  That is quite like cutting a tree down!  What gauge/material is this you are working with, and have you tried it with any larger gauges such as 14g yet?  Great technique!  Thanks for the tip/video!

-DireWolf

Edited by DireWolf

So what you are doing is essentially instead of applying full force in brute to snip through the spring, you twist around the wire while applying force, and then you snap it over?  That is quite like cutting a tree down!  What gauge/material is this you are working with, and have you tried it with any larger gauges such as 14g yet?  Great technique!  Thanks for the tip/video!

-DireWolf

That's pretty close. Here's what I wrote on the youtube description:

"The trick to getting clean, flush cuts on links, without using a saw, is to not fully cut/snip the wire. You want to try and just cut a little bit into the wire, sort of dent it, which weakens the overall strength, and then twist the link away. It'll break where you dented it and the ends will be flat which makes for a good closure. If you cut all the way through the wire, one end will be flat and the other will be pointed and the links will feel sharp and snag on clothes and the closures will be kind of crappy. I think there are a few different names for the technique. The guy who showed me how to make maille called it crimp and twist but I've also seen it referred to as score and break."

So, basically, use your wire cutters to cut about 1/3 of the way through the wire (here's where I think it gets confusing because I'm only using wire cutters) I use the tip of the cutters to grab the bottom of the link, as if they were pliers, and I then twist the link away from the coil. It's weakest at the point where I've cut partially through it, so that's where it breaks. If that makes any sense. lol this stuff is complicated to explain through text alone. I can make another video or take some pictures if you'd like. It'd be no problem at all.

I use this technique on every gauge I have. 24g-14g. I've got different cutters for different gauges though. A 24g-20g set, my 18g set, and a 16g-14g set.