Moni_G

I know this has probably been done....

about a million times over. But I need some help. I set up over at Storenvy (tatof3.storenvy.com) and the stats show that I'm getting plenty of visitors. 14 a week is the lowest number I've had several weeks and the number of total page views a week hovers between 20 and 30. I consider this good for me because I just passed my 1st year anniversary.

However, I'm not getting any sales. I'm pretty sure that part of it is pricing. My formula is simple (I'm not good with math, so simpler is better): total cost of materials plus time in hours times wage. Or M(t*W)= price. At first I price my wage per hour at 10 due to some posts I read here. My sister suggested that this might be too high considering that the shop was new and I needed to attract customers. I took her advice to change the wage to 5. However, It feels that that maybe too low. 

I was wondering what your advice would be. Please take a look at the shop. I'm willing to overlook this weeks stats. Please keep in mind that I make more than chain mail. My wares also include wire work and hemp macrame.

Edited by Moni_G

Not an expert by any means but my 2c:

You're selling too cheaply in my opinion. Cheaper doesn't necessarily translate to more sales, and can actually make you look more amateur and like your stuff isn't worth very much and you didn't work very hard. It lowers the "perceived value". Price your stuff both at a minimum labour, materials PLUS overheads, and what you think the market could "bear" to pay - look at the competition and what they're charging. Don't undersell yourself, and don't devalue the chainmaille industry. I think that's fairly standard newbie advice. (ETA: also round up your prices. Not $6.09)

I think your main problem is your photos. They're dark, and a bit ...messy? Brighten them up, make the backgrounds more even and attractive and consistent. Get a light box. You can get a popup one from ebay for about $15 USD. Photos are SO important. More important than the product, almost. Also, your shop seems very plain, especially the header. Can you fancy it up? To be honest, "Twists and Turns of No. 3" seems like a rather impersonal name to me.

There's some argument that you shouldn't mix different styles of jewellery in the one shop... but some people make it work. YMMV. 

You'll need to drive some traffic to your site somehow, talking about it on social media usually (oh okay I see you're doing this). You could make a blog talking about your craft, which catches the googlers, and direct people to your stuff. Also, selling in real life, and giving out business cards helps too. I don't know how storenvy works, but are there ways you can be more searchable with more keywords? It's pretty tough selling online. There's so much competition. But good luck!

Edited by calyx

Thanks! 

The pricing is my main concern. I figured that I could use to raise the price some.

I have a blog running on Wordpress, but I'm not getting many visitors to it. I'm wondering if I should pick another site to use. My younger sister set one up on Blogger and got 13 views right off the bat.

As for the pictures, it's what I could manage at the time. Some better shots wouldn't hurt. 

As for the store name, it's part reference to what I'm doing and that I'm the 3rd of 9 children. The other titles I came up with weren't as good to be honest.

I do plan to sell at shows and fairs and have been considering business cards for awhile.

Although I have never sold maille online specifically, I have been selling online for many years now.

Without trying to discourage you, visitors on the order of a dozen or two per week isn't really enough traffic to give you a good idea of how things are selling.

You can probably anticipate a conversion rate of 1 in 100 or even 1 in 200 might be something you can anticipate. That means every 100 unique visitors [not visits or page views], 1 person makes a purchase.

Again, not trying to discourage you, but rather keep you from getting discouraged by knowing what to expect.

Number one suggestion I can offer is to make use of keywords in various combinations (this is how search engines will index your page), especially in product titles and descriptions.

I know I haven't posted for a while, but I do appreciate the comments and suggestions. I've been busy for awhile lately. I plan on taking and posting new pictures by the end of the weekend. My sister has a light box that she is going to let me borrow. The prices will be finalized while I'm adding the new pictures, it's all the same page and that seems like an easy 2 birds 1 stone kind of thing. 

I've created a header and am going to create a business card this weekend as well.

My latest concern is my blog. I'm using Word Press and have not had visitors since Feb. I've downloaded a Using WordPress for Business app and plan on watching the videos on it, using whatever tips and suggestions I might be able to get. My concern is, what if this doesn't help? I would like to know what blog sites some of you use. My younger sister just started using Blogger a week or two ago and has over 90 views. What sites could you recommend and what do you do to drive visitors to your site? Do you blog just about your projects or do you include other topics? If you blog about other things, how far off the topic of business and crafting do you go?

Pictures finally posted! It's amazing how much better they look. The box was a bit tricky to figure out. I've adjusted the pricing and added a materials description to the listing. 

I'm still needing to look at the Word Press for business app, so the blog site hasn't changed yet.