kdgarris

Finishing off a headband

I've just captured a hairband with an inverted round weave, but I don't know what to do with the ends to keep them from flapping.  For the moment I have tiny rings holding the junctures together strictly as a temporary measure, but I'm not really happy with that solution.

Since it's not a bracelet or necklace, I don't need to necessarily get it down to one ring or have to worry about attaching a clasp, but I do need to have it hold together at the end.  I do want it to look nice and not jut out too much at the ends, though.  Any ideas?

Btw, the rings are 14SWG (2mm) brass 5/16" ID. 

post-47147-0-25526600-1395156462_thumb.jpg

Edited by kdgarris

just my opinion, but that is what you asked for here . I would bring the ends together with a single ring on each end, and then use that to put a small gem/bead, or a charm of some sort. just make sure it has smooth edges, so it does not get caught in her hair.  something on the end with a little bit of sparkle would dress the ends, and I believe make the over all look of the piece a bit more " finished"

I made a keychain for my wife about 9 years ago, surprisingly still intact(she breaks things) Anyway, it's a combination of Inverted Round and Round Maille and the way I terminated the chain was to double up on the beginnings of a row of Inverted Round but with smaller links. If that makes any sense. Not sure if that'll help with strictly Inverted Round but maybe add 1 row of Round to your chain and end it off like this? Just tossing it out there. Good luck.

http://i.imgur.com/H76XfLc.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/VJR3ARU.jpg

I just quoted myself. :ermm:  http://www.theringlord.org/forum/index.php?/topic/12233-the-end-of-the-rope-inverted-round-maille/

I don't know if that's something that helps you or not but I figured it wouldn't hurt to share.

Lord Allenoxxe, I really like your suggestion, but I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't be to the tastes of the person I'm making the hairband for, unfortunately.

L.T., your pictures look great, but I am trying to understand your method.  I tried two smaller rings for each junction on the end, but that still gives the same problem, but only now for the smaller rings - they still can flap open at the end.  Now, are you saying that if I put one row of regular roundmail at the end and then the last row be interted round but with the doubled smaller rings, then it should keep them from flapping like that?

Lord Allenoxxe, I really like your suggestion, but I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't be to the tastes of the person I'm making the hairband for, unfortunately.

L.T., your pictures look great, but I am trying to understand your method.  I tried two smaller rings for each junction on the end, but that still gives the same problem, but only now for the smaller rings - they still can flap open at the end.  Now, are you saying that if I put one row of regular roundmail at the end and then the last row be interted round but with the doubled smaller rings, then it should keep them from flapping like that?

That's exactly it. It's tough to see in the first picture because the doubled rings force, and keep, parts of the RoundMaille close together(but that's what we want ;)) . Check this out, I labeled and colored the 6 links from the Round pattern to try and help it stand out a little better. I can try and take some better shots of it, if you need. No big deal, lemme know.

http://i.imgur.com/NEB45sh.jpg

Edited by L.T.

It looks great, but it may take me a bit to figure out how to do a single row of roundmaille onto an inverted round chain.  I've not done roundmail before, but it looks like it's just 6-sided box chain, right?  I'm not immediately getting how that would fit onto a 3-sided inverted round, and I also don't understand how it is that inverted round is supposedly an inverted version of roundmail, either.  Maybe I need to make a short chain of roundmail for reference, and it will become more clear to me that way.

I appreciate the help!

It looks great, but it may take me a bit to figure out how to do a single row of roundmaille onto an inverted round chain.  I've not done roundmail before, but it looks like it's just 6-sided box chain, right?  I'm not immediately getting how that would fit onto a 3-sided inverted round, and I also don't understand how it is that inverted round is supposedly an inverted version of roundmail, either.  Maybe I need to make a short chain of roundmail for reference, and it will become more clear to me that way.

I appreciate the help!

Trying to explain a weave though text is kind of difficult but I'll give it a shot. It's just 6 rows of Euro 4-in-1 that connects to itself. A six-sided box chain is right on the money. Just take your 3 end links and let them roll back("flapping")in the standard European pattern of "one ring goes this way, the next ring goes that way, etc..." and that's how you get the 6 that form the Round Maille pattern. Normally you'd add your 3 links and flip them out to continue the Inverted pattern. If you let them roll back, you should be able to see the similarities of it with the picture I posted and where to add the doubled smaller rings.

edit: here's a better shot of that keychain, it's Round Maille with Inverted segments here and there. Might help. http://i.imgur.com/ENcmRiJ.jpg

Edited by L.T.

Okay, after looking at your pics and playing with my rings a bit, I do think I get the pattern.  I'll have some smaller rings in the same gauge coming with my next order to try this, and I'll report back with the results.  Many thanks for the advice!

By Jove, your method worked like a charm!  Thank you so much for your help.  The smaller rings I used to finish where 1/4" 14 SWG.  A slightly smaller ID would have probably have worked even better.  I'm attaching a couple of pictures.

post-47147-0-42626600-1397788993_thumb.jpg

post-47147-0-59394900-1397789013_thumb.jpg