Airinhead

Sandals?

I'm just wondering if anyone has done anything involving sandals. Add ons? Buying soles and making straps? I think there would really be a market for it. I am really just looking for input, ideas and a good discussion since I haven't tried anything yet.

i've wondered that myself but never found any soles.   I've done a few of the soleless sandals though.  they're pretty popular with the destination wedding crowd

We make a lot of shoes/socks, the weave is open enough that they feel like sandals, but they have no sole to speak of. You could probably do cutouts that look more like sandals but anything too strappy starts to chafe. Rubber rings might help with the chafing and soles can be cut out of leather or rubber pretty easily.

that was another issue i saw.  the piece between the toes would need to be cloth or synthetic as rings would mutilate the webbing something horribly

As someone who lives in sandals in a hot climate, I choose the most padded and soft materials to go on my feet, or the chafing and blisters get pretty bad after a while. Metal sandals would look pretty cool, but maybe more of a decorative thing? Perhaps attached to thick leather at key points as a highlight.

Yes, this all true, but damn they would look cool. I was also considering adding chainmaille embellishments, but finding a sandal plain enough has proved to be a challenge.

Look for a cobbler shop or good leather supply and ask.

good shoes are often resold and you can find a variety of options.

Usually the material is leather, rubber, or EVA  foam and holes can be punched with gasket punch or a hole punch. 

I have used vibram but find it needs a layer of EVA or something to avoid blow out and avoid picking up grit and small stones.

Use rubber cement like duall 88, XL-8 or barge cement fallow the directions.

Be aware Barge cement may ship with a has-mat fee.

invert the glue container to prolong life.