Bernice Daniels

BRIGHT finish AA scales

Announcing BRIGHT finish anodized aluminum scales! These are anodized after they are punched so the edges are anodized. They will be available in all colors to match our saw cut AA rings (with a few exceptions like frost and mirror which we already make). 
We currently have 6 colors of large scales on the site. More colors are being made within a few weeks - as well as small scales. 
You can find them here - http://bit.ly/htDmTj

Enjoy!

SCLG-BTAA_large.jpg

They do look awesome...perfect for something I've been working on.

Some of the purple ones seem to have a slight underdyed spot along the edge by the hole. This would not be too much of a problem for most applications, as long as that is the only place those would show up.

I guess what worries me is that the old style scales, which were bulk anodized after punching, often had touch marks and uncoloured areas. How is this prevented with these scales? Do they all get strung or clipped to a wire or rack to prevent them from touching?

They do look awesome...perfect for something I've been working on.

Some of the purple ones seem to have a slight underdyed spot along the edge by the hole. This would not be too much of a problem for most applications, as long as that is the only place those would show up.

I guess what worries me is that the old style scales, which were bulk anodized after punching, often had touch marks and uncoloured areas. How is this prevented with these scales? Do they all get strung or clipped to a wire or rack to prevent them from touching?

The scales are racked so that the only contact mark present will be on the upper left edge of the hole.

twilightbanana: The touch mark as Grant says will be by the hole if there is one. The darker the scale the more likely you see one I've found. 

There is no way at this time to avoid that touchmark as the electrical contact is needed for the anodizing process. These are not however made in such a way that a flaw would not be in another spot. It would be very unlikely or rare. I saw 1 scale of all the ones I checked that was a lighter color on the back - likely a air bubble in the tank as it was being anodized. 

You can see the flaw quite clearly in the large purple picture above. 

You can also see in the pic above how any scratch is made clear with the shiny finish. 

We are trying to be clear about this touchmark and any imperfections to avoid any disappointment. 

They are head and shoulders better than the 1st scales we anodized after being punched - totally different process and finish. 

We will of course continue to think of ways to improve the process and perhaps in future we can minimize the touchmarks even more. 

Oh and before anyone says "why not just rotate them and dip them again" - The answer is its not like paint. The anodizing electrical contact has to make contact with the base metal - not the anodizing layer. The anodized layer is an isolator and prevents the requires contact.

Wow, these are beautiful!

Can you post side-by-side images of the new scales with the regular AA scales at some point? Those green ones especially look to be a lighter shade than the regular ones.

One question - with the aaah, more expensive competition, I haven't seen touchmarks yet on them. (Though they aren't quite as glossy and metallic as yours look onscreen to me.)

Roughly what percentage of your scales would have touchmarks on them? Apologies if I missed this. (It looks like most of them if I squint at the photos.) I like to use them singly in earrings and as pendants so touchmarks would show.

One question - with the aaah, more expensive competition, I haven't seen touchmarks yet on them. (Though they aren't quite as glossy and metallic as yours look onscreen to me.)

Roughly what percentage of your scales would have touchmarks on them? Apologies if I missed this. (It looks like most of them if I squint at the photos.) I like to use them singly in earrings and as pendants so touchmarks would show.

All the scales have to have a touch mark to provide electrical contact during the anodizing process.  We are trying to reduce the size of the touch mark on all scales as we refine this new product.

The touch mark is needed to provide electrical contact - all scale that are anodized will have it. Its just a matter of where it is and how much you can see it. 

With bulk anodizing the touchmark can get pretty bad on scales as they can cup and touch anywhere they like. We used to do this and don't any longer for scales. 

We are rack anodizing these scales - so they are hand placed in a set up and the touchmark will always be in the same spot by the hole. 

I know this touchmark is less than desirable. This is a new process that took a long time to develop. We are continuing to evolve it and I can tell you that no touchmark is a great goal - we just can't achieve it at this time. It is not possible to anodize a scale without the electrical contact to each and every scale.

That being said the lighter colors show this mark less. You can't see it on most. 

The size of the touchmark varies too. Looking closely at the image above by the hole is a good idea. I didn't hide any imperfections - I put product in my tent and for the most part its immortalized where it falls. 

Thanks for that helpful explanation Bernice! I'm guessing the no-touchmark comes from a form of bulk anodising and throwing out the imperfect ones, which I think might possibly explain why that bright anodising is not-so-bright. Your finish looks amazing!

One think I noticed with these scales is that they have the Line marks. Those lines make me iffy on using those scales though I know they are still god I just am not a fan of a distracting quality like that. . . 

not sure what you mean by Line Marks? but the ones I received didn't have any lines and the touch marks? were not noticeable at all. granted I did not get the darker colors the Purple or black