Bernice Daniels

TRL scales going to Mars

9 posts in this topic

TRL scales are going to Mars!!! They will be used to shield a seismograph on the Mars Insight mission! (<-- I'm a scifi geek - LOVING this!) We worked with Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL - NASA) to design a small thin frost colored anodized aluminum scale. They are 42% lighter than our standard aluminum scales. We are selling the left overs - you can find them here as the current small scale special at the bottom of the page. 
http://bit.ly/htDmTj

SCALEAALG-frost.jpg

Euar and calyx like this

How very cool!!!!

Fellow Sci-Fi geek here, and I think that's great!  From the subject I was half expecting them to be in a John Carter movie or some such, but this is even better. :animier: :animier:  :cheers:

Any more information on the insight mission and how these scales will be used? Ordered 3, because NASA.

Edit- found some info

A seismic experiment will listen for "marsquakes" and use this information to map the boundaries between the rock layers inside Earth's neighbour.

It will determine if the planet has a liquid or solid core, and provide some clues as to why its surface is not divided up into tectonic plates as on Earth.

Key components of this package will come from France and the UK.

InSight will also push a German-built thermal probe into the surface to gauge Mars' temperature profile. This will reveal how the planet is cooling.

It will also deliver another sensor that will very accurately determine the degree to which the planet wobbles on its axis.JPL will provide the two cameras on InSight and a robotic arm.

Edited by zcar300

It would be really cool if they sent you a picture of the shield once they have it designed. 

i have ordered some of these and am planning on making a gift for a friend, i was wondering if you have more proof of nasa's involvement with the scales than just your say so. it's not that i don't believe you it's just that i would like to prove it to her for the gift

I had to get permission from JPL to post what I posted here. The only proof I would have are private emails and invoices.

When they show public pics I will post them then. 

There are at least 4 people in our company, including myself, who personally worked on assembling the scales that TRL made and shipped them to JPL. You might have to wait for press releases from NASA if you want more confirmation than that.

Lysenis likes this