stome

BA ring rub off

So I have been at this off and on 5 years now. Up until recently I have been making my own rings.

But recently I have been making much more then I used too and decided it was time for some pre-made rings.

Problem is there seems to be much more rub off the there is in the rings I made myself. I made my wife a neck corset out of 14g 5/16 rings. Cleaned and polished as I always have for BA. But after a couple hours of wear it left a shocking amount of black/grey rub off on her neck.In comparison I have made her a bra in the past from BA wire bought from TRL that I made the rings out of myself. This left far less rub off when worn for longer.

So has anyone else had this problem? Perhaps know why it's happening, and most importantly does anyone have advice on what to do about it?

Edited by stome

It could be environmental factors like skin chemistry, lotion, or sunscreen building up or reacting in the rings.

Antibiotics, endocrine conditions, and many others can cause slight changes in skin chemistry. even supplements can change What's going on.

What alloy did you use, or was the material purchased from the same supplier as your purchased rings?

Both bought from TRL. I assume the wire and rings they sell are the same alloy?

Honestly don't think it's skin chemistry as she has worn one of my older works (with the hand made rings.) since this incident without a peoble.m (slight rub off of course.)

Maybe I just need a better cleaning method. Have been cleaning with hot water and dish soap. Soak for a few minutes then a light scrub and dry. Then I tumble it with chestnut shell plus a couple drops of Polish.

Edited by stome

You need to thoroughly wash them also they need to be washed after they are tumbled. I don't know about the polish you are using - it might be part of the rub off. 

BA tarnishes dull and rubs off something shocking for me especially around the neck, but I have a) a lot of acidic sweat, b) a salty hot humid climate. I don't use BA any more, I prefer the coating on anodised. But tumbling BA shiny smooth and cleaning first can reduce its oxidising tendencies somewhat.