Czar

Post a pic and what you charge for the piece.. ?

Okay.. this thread may not fly, and I`ll understand if it dies fast. But with so many people asking what to charge for their pieces and the many different answers that folks provide...how about people post pics of some of their works, include stats, and then the price you normally charge for it?

Stats may include not only the ring stats but perhaps the time it takes you to complete the piece? I can totally understand if people do not want to release this information as some may find it a little personal.

How about we limit (more like encourage) it to pieces you make with the intent to sell as opposed to custom ordered pieces.

And to start it off:

jap12in2hand.jpg

I know.. its nothing fancy. :)

SS18316 & SS2018

Sorry. Didn't keep track of time on this one

$20

Also..this hand display is smaller than it appears which can give a false representation of the size of the bracelet without being right in front of it.

Edited by Czar

I have never posted here so I don't know if this picture will post as a picture or as a link. Sorry if it doesn't come thru as a picture.

The item is a full persian weave from 18 gauge 5mm Argentium silver. It is 7 1/2 inches long and sold for $70.00.

1888_thumb.attach

Legba3: I know, get that comment all the time. But I am new, trying to build things up, and I am making enough to replenish my stocks and make a few things for myself.

I've been known to sell these chainmail hacky sacks for $25 each.

$25 each? XD Wow, I thought that I was charging too much when I was selling one for $10 or three for $25. (Of course, mine are completely made from TRL's BA hacky sack kit.)

Legba3: I know, get that comment all the time. But I am new, trying to build things up, and I am making enough to replenish my stocks and make a few things for myself.

I've sold much more since upping my prices, you might find the same.

SS18316 & SS2018

Sorry. Didn't keep track of time on this one

$20

As a comparison, the japanese stainless steel bracelets I do in those sizes retail for $65 - $85 (depending on the clasp used). The steel is saw-cut. And of course, most of the bracelets I sell are sold through galleries, so my cut is 50% of the retail.

Oh, I definately like this thread!!! :D

Thanks to those that have posted pics or comments so far. It is a great help to us newlings.

Keep posting! ;)

IF, they feel like it. I completely understand if people think that it would be infringing on their design rights or secrets and don't want to post.

I have read other posts on pricing help. They are great, but this one that shows the pics right along side the price is a big help. Thanks.

2018SSbyzbrace.jpg

20g 1/8 Sterling Byz 7.75" with simple lobster clasp $35

18gBABRgsg.jpg

18g 1/4" BA and Bronze GSG 7.5" with simple lobster clasp $15 (very popular)

I also have done the GSG in the same stats but alternating the BA and Bronze rings so that it appears like all the BA are on the inside or outside depending on how you flip is and in White Gold and Rose Gold Fill.

Bracelets.jpg

Simple 16 gauge 1/4" AA and Neoprene Euro 4n1 bracelets. These go for $20.00 each, and I can crank one out in about 20 minutes, even if I'm being distracted. I've been known to go to shows with strips of these 3 yards long and custom fit them to the customer's wrist while they wait.

The Orange and Black ones I call "Harvest Moon" bracelets. The Red and Black ones I call "Seduction" bracelets. I also have Black AA and Black Neo ones that I call "Extortion" bracelets. Why, you ask? Because it's Blackmail!

Simple 16 gauge 1/4" AA and Neoprene Euro 4n1 bracelets. These go for $20.00 each, and I can crank one out in about 20 minutes, even if I'm being distracted. I've been known to go to shows with strips of these 3 yards long and custom fit them to the customer's wrist while they wait.

The Orange and Black ones I call "Harvest Moon" bracelets. The Red and Black ones I call "Seduction" bracelets. I also have Black AA and Black Neo ones that I call "Extortion" bracelets. Why, you ask? Because it's Blackmail!

Do you add any sort of closure to these, or just permanently close them onto these poor customers' wrists? :P

Anm8tor,

You only charge $35 for a sterling silver byz bracelet? I'm new but that seems too little for sterling silver.

That is too low.

I've found that if you charge to low people think there's something wrong with the item and won't buy it. Up the price and it sells.

As a comparison, the japanese stainless steel bracelets I do in those sizes retail for $65 - $85 (depending on the clasp used). The steel is saw-cut. And of course, most of the bracelets I sell are sold through galleries, so my cut is 50% of the retail.

Whe you place an item in someone else's retail establishment to sell, is 50% of the actual sale price the pretty much the industry standard for the artists cut ($), or is this something that has to be negotiated with each retailer?

It also depends on the type of venue. Co-ops might take 15% - 20% while an exclusive gallery might take up to 80%. You have more leeway to negotiate in a non juried shop.

Most artists I know figure commission as overhead and adjust thier price according to the venue.