Czar

Post a pic and what you charge for the piece.. ?

See, I can agree with that for the most part. The time and ability to do other things is tantamount to what I view as important. Personally, I think 20 hours a week is kind of low for a workweek. I like about 35-40. Any less and I start feeling listless and that listnessness starts turning into lethargy, and then I'm sitting around the house in my underwear watching TV, and eating soup from a can... (well, maybe not soup from a can. I DO have food standards).

I don't have a family of my own per se, but I have relationship issues (mainly that I feel like I cannot find anyone who can fully take on my incredibly strange lifestyle of minimalism, a rejection of media and pop culture, strange hours, mood swings, and just plain bizzare behavior [there's equally as many urban legends of my sheer brilliance apparently as there are of my batshit insane style of madness) . XD ]). Alone is a respectable enough compromise... As hard as it is to raise a family on $15 an hour, it's harder to do so on much less. But people do it. And I see families making 5-10 times that $15 an hour struggling as well. Just like with any other style of life, what you need to make is proportional to how many possessions and what kind of experiences you want.

As for getting "properly compensated", I actually feel kind of bad about it. I feel like I'm gouging people with my prices, but I made this promise because I set the prices for everything else I gave to the woman who sells my stuff. ($30 for a handmade book, $15 for a pair of earrings, $10 for a wooden bookmark, $9 for a yoyo with marquetry work... )

What kills me more is that sometimes the overpriced stuff sells better than the stuff I consider "fair".

but you're right. It's about posting something and giving a price.

so here:

th_DSC01311.jpg

It's one of my first half persians, and a bracelet I originally made for myself. The closures aren't exactly perfect on a handful of the rings, and I'd charge $10-15 for it if it were myself, knowing that it could be a little better. (otherwise $20-25)

What it's being sold for is $68.

I'm kind of terrified of posting the only thing that sold...but I will post a link to the picture and describe it. There was a pre-determined price set out with me and the client. He told me what he wanted it to look like and I made it. I used 20g light pink enameled copper for the tryzantine weave which I had just learned the day I actually started. I also used 16g fuchsia coated aluminum wire in the mobius weave. I made tons of those and sewn them onto the leather and embroidered the word on. All in all, it took a month to finish and the costs ran me 70 USD total all at JoAnne's Fabric store. I know it's nothing like was posted here in the quality department but all that really mattered to me was how happy the customer was. There's also a mobius made out of 14g aluminum attached to the tryzantine. The tryzantine is the front. Btw, it was meant as a gift for his girlfriend and she loved it too...yes it's a collar. I have the mindset of don't ask/don't tell, it's not my place to judge, just make the piece and get paid. Got $175 for it. Was a good enough price for me.

http://cradleofdoom.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d354c16

(pics aren't the greatest but they show the maille part pretty decently.)

It takes five seconds to learn how to open and close a ring. A few minutes to get the hang of it, and a few days to get to the point where you can open and close them pretty damn well, and customers aren't going to care in the least. Maybe a few months of focusing on perfecting the skill to get it to the point where most of your rings are indeed perfectly closed, and maybe a year to get to the point where your closed rings leave almost no trace of seam.

I'm just going through and getting caught up on this thread and this statement struck me particularly because I was browsing the shop last night of someone I consider a competitor on an online venue in which I sell. This person has sold over 1000 items and yet one that I clicked on had abysmal closures. So I said to myself, "Why is this person selling so many more items when their skill is seemingly not as good as mine?" I must conclude that 1. The people buying the items don't really pay attention to how well the rings are closed and/or 2. The seller is a hell of a good marketer...which I, admittedly, am not.

Anywho, I've always found the issue of price to be a sticky one as well. Hell, the first chainmail dicebag that I ever saw was $40 and I went "Ugh! Too expensive!" and went out and learned how to make one. I kind of chuckle at that now though since I charge about the same price for mine...depending on materials. Last year at the SF Pride festival, I saw a booth selling stainless steel maille wallet chains and jewelry for upwards of $100-150 dollars and about choked. Would I pay that? No effing way! Would I feel right charging someone else those prices? No way either. I guess I'm a frugal person but I look at something that I know is highly marked up and I refuse to buy it. Always have, probably always will. That's not to say that I don't want to pay fairly for time and effort in some handmade items (or be paid, for that matter) - I gladly shelled out $100 for a woven wire SS/GF bracelet because I appreciated the effort that went into it (and also because I was not about to try to make it myself. I hate wire-working. :) ). I guess that was a really rambly way to say that I don't understand the mentality of "Mark up all your prices because if people want it enough, they'll buy it and if they don't, well f*ck 'em." However, who am I to tell anyone else how to price? Charge what you want, just don't tell me what to charge unless you want to be told where you can shove your advice. :D

As a side note, I do like this thread...I'm just super sad that a lot of the picture links got broken with the board upgrade. All those pretties that I can't see makes me sad.

(Edited to fix punctuation.)

Edited by Jax25

Alright, so as per the topic of the post... Here's a Candle Holder that I'm asking $60 for It's in Stainless Steel and features a Dreamcatcher at the top so that the shadow puts off a beautiful design.

206311_216349661712467_156270984387002_974012_7975862_n.jpg

Edited by gamefreak2291

This is a really good thread. I have been looking at all the post and learned some things. My question.... earrings!

253442_116431938444039_106683069418926_158856_1836354_n.jpg

These are Sterling Silver, earwires, rings and scales.

In todays sterling cost, they cost me about $5.50. I'm thinking selling them at $19.99? Good price?

254507_118418861578680_106683069418926_171794_4620927_n.jpg

Sterling silver earwires and top 2 sweetpea units, bottom unit is yellow gold-filled. Costs today are about $8.70. These I have no clue what to charge for. I'm thinking more then $20?

Thanks,

~Colt

Good price for me as I would buy them from you and mark them up by ten bucks. Silver is funny depending on how you present it. Many folks sell silver pieces for bargain prices. More so the folks who work exclusively in silver. I find though if you are offering a variety of products and materials it is easy to drive the precious metals up a fair bit.

I sell all my earrings starting at ten bucks which for me has been the best balance of return versus the value to the customer. If the customer likes the earrings they more often seem thrilled that they are ten bucks. Those are the stainless, copper , aluminum varieties, etc...

My silver I display in a case that by it's nature suggests that there is more value to the silver. If you treat you silver well it also has a wow factor that the other materials(even if you shine your copper to gleaming). Getting $30 for earrings that the customer can buy in non precious metal for $10 is actually much easier when they have the comparison and the choice. It also in return drives the sales of the ten dollar items.

If you are going to sell predominantly silver you may find that you will have to lower the asking price to attract sales that could be provided by more mundane materials.

The more options you give to the customer the bigger chance to sell them something. The more value you place on your own work the more the customer respects it.

Hey all,

First post here.

photo.php?fbid=10150324081510923&set=oa.175237619199931&type=1&theater

I call it Helm and A Half, don't know if it has a proper name. SXAA16516 Black and Black Ice with 18ga EPDM. 8" $21.00

photo.php?fbid=10150324077315923&set=oa.175016145888745&type=1&theater

This is Viper Basket from CandT Designs last monthly newsletter. SXAA16318 Lavender, SXAA1614 mixed colors. 8" $21.00

photo.php?fbid=10150304487345923&set=oa.178700762186950&type=1&theater

Hair Clips using large AA Scales. 3" across $7.50

Thoughts, questions, comments, criticisms?

-thanx, Eric

Edited by Cultist Crafts Eric

I'm asking $40 for this bracelet. 18g 1/4" saw cut copper from TRL. First attempt at GSG, finished with a copper toggle clasp. It's got a nice weight to it, and is gorgeous when the copper is clean. But I think I'll be doing this one in EC after this. I'm not too fond of how it looks when the copper starts to turn, which is unusual because I generally like "dirty" copper. :)

post-6112-0-81633800-1315439791_thumb.jpg

I sell my 18g 1/4 AA HP4-1 bracelets with a starting point of $20 and will let people haggle me down to $15 if I know them well enough or really need the sale. But most of the time they sell just fine at $20.

Here is a necklace I made... Its made from bright aluminum... what do you think I should charge for it??? It took me about like 2 days to do but that wasnt on the project all the time so it probably took me like 3 to 4 hours

382067_10150351737821059_580211058_8675633_1956698252_n.jpg

could somebody please tell me how much I should sell this necklace for I have an interested buyer for it and I really dont know how much to charger

The picture is the third one up from this one

thanks

Which ring sizes did you use? How long would it take you to make another one now that you've mastered the weave? How much would you want to earn per hour? Add a couple of dollars for the materials and you should have your price.

My guess for the rings would be 16 ga. 1/4" and 3/8", so I'll work from that. I charge EUR 25,- per hour, and have a minimum price of EUR 25,- for necklaces. Since a necklace like that wouldn't take me very long to make - certainly less than an hour- I'd charge the EUR 25,- minimum.

Considering the difference in cost of living, if I were based in the US I would charge US$ 25,- as well.

I have just started making mail jewelry, and I am lucky enough to work at a locally owned business (service oriented shoe store) where my boss, the owner, is kind enough to let me put my stuff on his front counter to sell, without taking a cut. I've started in bright and anodized aluminum. I've been using the formula cost + $10 hour + 5% overhead + 20% profit, rounded up to the nearest $2.50, which I consider my wholesale price, and then putting that at key (double wholesale) for the retail. This leads me to an average of $30 for the bracelets and $10 for the earrings. I'm using mostly 18g rings in 5/32", 3/16" and 1/4". I've posted a picture of my favorite piece. I am also making Byzantine, full and half Persian, helm chain, and helm chain flowers. For simplicity's sake, I've priced all the bracelets at $30 and all the earrings at $10. The bracelets take, on average, around an hour to make. Am I charging a price that is fair both to me and my customer?

2011-12-04_17-55-19_479.jpg

5/32" 18g bright aluminum rings, 1/4" 16g for the big connecting rings, 6mm amethyst beads, plated brass clasp. About 7.5" long

Edited by Dearthair