Czar

Post a pic and what you charge for the piece.. ?

Most places around me won't negotiate. They've got their contracts all set up, and plenty of artists who are willing to meet their standard cut. I live in Chicago, so things are definitely different than if I lived in a smaller town.

Also, I am planning on doing more wholesaling, which is when the store buys the piece outright from you. These are almost always done at a 50/50 cut, because that is standard retail markup, and they are carrying the risk of it never selling and them losing the money.

I do not adjust my prices depending on the venue. If one of my retailers ever found out I was doing that, they would probably stop working with me.

I like to set all my prices at the 50% markup (though there are definitely some that I cannot do for that price, so I don't sell those at certain galleries) When I do certain craft fairs (ones where the booth fee is $250 or less, and not $2,500!) , I can offer customers a "direct-from-artist" discount of 20% or 30% off retail. This way, customers know how much they'd pay for it in a store, and know they are getting a deal by buying from me directly. (And I don't have to deal with the wrath of a storeowner who feels like I gypped them!)

By adjusting the price to the venue, I did not mean charging $10 at a craft fair and $250 at a gallery--that would be, IMO dishonest.

Commission is a ligament business expense. As such it should be covered by the sale of goods. The way to do this is to figure it into your prices. This is SOP in the fine art world (painting, sculpture etc), it might be different for jewelry.

You may have to absorb some of the expense of higher commissions--You should not have to absorb all of it.

Yes, for a gallery, price your piece so that you get your minimum amount for it plus the gallery's commission. e.g. if the gallery's commission is 50% and you want a minimum of $10 then the total price would be $15. Or something like that.

I recently finished this piece, sterling, 4-1 soldered, hammered w/ handmade clasp and it's priced at $300 USD. Frankly, considering the price of silver lately, iit may be $325 by the time my first show of the season rolls around.

b-sterlinghammeredlinks1.jpg

what is a good price for cab-wraps?

i'v made some gemstone's with stainless and when i ask the ful price for time and materials i come out about 19 euro, (about 13 dollar)

and that's only the cab-wrap, without a chain....

i'v made some gemstone's with stainless and when i ask the ful price for time and materials i come out about 19 euro, (about 13 dollar)

I dont do cabs myself (yet),but I have seen them at shows around town for $15 - $25 cdn.... I have seen higher priced as well but that is for more precious stones and metal.... and that is very rare.

According to my online currency converter (Jan 8/08) 19 Euro is about $27 US dollars, not 13. (Maybe you meant $31, not $13?)

LL

Very pretty! that design is the one that got me hooked on the Japanese weaves!!! I like the gold and silver. Did you use sterling or fine?

Fine for the rings and sterling for the threader. I only use sterling for findings and when clients request it.

Necklace/Earring Set

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=546116&l=631d3&id=662097921

Sorry for the poor picture, I keep meaning to make a light box.

I charged $60 for the necklace and $15 for the ear rings.

Weave = Biz

Gauge = 20

Material = Stainless Steel

Ring ID = 1/8th inch

Stones = 6MM Swarovski Crystal bicones (6 in necklace and 3 per earring)

Beads = Pewter Heart and Barrel spacers

Length of Necklace = 17inch + Clasp and 2 inchs of sizing chain (as requested).

Replacement watch strap

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=468530&l=99070&id=662097921

Weave = Euro 4in1

Gauge = 18

Material = AA

Ring ID = 3/16th inch

Clasp = Sterling Silver

Charged $10.... probably could have got more but was for a good friend that also bought the above set.

Bracers

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=412336&l=86d2d&id=662097921

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=412338&l=16281&id=662097921

Weave = Euro 4in1

Gauge = 18

Material = Stainless Steal, Black Neopreme, Leather

Ring ID = 3/16th inch

Charged $100 to one of the Cooks at work. He wanted them for a Barbarian costume for Halloween. This was a hell of a learning experience for me.... first time working with leather and Neopreme

Thanks Legba for the advise. I thought it was too low but I'm always so unsure when pricing things.

What are the stats Jewel? I see you have used your gold fill every fifth connection. How long?

It is gorgeous. Can see why you are getting requests.

It's 18" and the rings are 20ga 7/64". I might bump it up to 20" long though.

MamboLady: It's all the same size, though a graduated version would look killer.

I need to make a correction on that post of mine. I will be doing SS for those that I sell, that one is Fine Silver as a gift to my Mom.

Jewel,

I know I asked you how you liked working with the fine silver, but I don't think I asked you how you thought it looked compared to the sterling? So..How do you think it looks compared to the sterling? haha

"MamboLady: It's all the same size, though a graduated version would look killer."

Don't forget to post it when it's done Jewel. :D :D

What are the stats Jewel? I see you have used your gold fill every fifth connection. How long?

It is gorgeous. Can see why you are getting requests.

The stats can be found here. I love the necklace too, and if it'sok with Jewel I'm considering copying it for my wife for valentines day.

I recently finished this piece, sterling, 4-1 soldered, hammered w/ handmade clasp and it's priced at $300 USD. Frankly, considering the price of silver lately, iit may be $325 by the time my first show of the season rolls around.

I dearly love this piece kh. It's gorgeous.

The stats can be found here. I love the necklace too, and if it'sok with Jewel I'm considering copying it for my wife for valentines day.

I don't mind at all! :D

One comment about pricing: don't EVER sell yourself short!

The Small Business Administration used to hold their classes for free, and no one ever showed up for them. Now they charge $50 per 1 hour class, and they pack the rooms. If something is priced too low, it's value will be perceived as low as well.

My rule of thumb... If it sold, I priced it too low. If it didn't sell, I priced it too high. ;)

If you price it too high, you can always go down and sell it for a better price.

If you price it too low, you get less money in the end.