Czar

Post a pic and what you charge for the piece.. ?

Its not new but I don't remember if I've posted this one or not. Copper double spiral 16g I don't remember the ring size, hand cut copper bunny pendant, with a hand made copper hook/eye clasp.

I think I would charge between $75 and $80 for this.

P1010033.jpg

I would switch to stainless but galvy is the only thing around here and i don't want to/can't pay the price that it would to order it from one of the hardware stores. Yes, most people agree I'm undercharging, but like Cynake said it's galvy and i want it to sell because I make it for fun and most of the people I sell to are in high school and have to have pay for other stuff. Eventually I will raise my prices. Also I will eventually place an order to TRL to get some AA and some other better metals but I'm waiting to get enough money to place a big order:D

look for your local bead shop and get some sterling wire. you can get a small ammount without dealing with shipping costs, and use the profits to get more etc till you have enough to place your big order

if you are going to do that, you may also want to pick up a jewlers saw. They are relitively inexpensive and make a huge difference in the quality of jewelry

Its not new but I don't remember if I've posted this one or not. Copper double spiral 16g I don't remember the ring size, hand cut copper bunny pendant, with a hand made copper hook/eye clasp.

I think I would charge between $75 and $80 for this.

P1010033.jpg

That is a really nice piece. I would suggest saw cutting your rings and tumbling the crap out of them. Then selling that for 125-150$. Same chain maybe make an assortment of handmade pendants. You might even be able to go higher on the price.

Okay, I've looked at the different formulas posted and really like the material cost rounded to upper $5 (ex. $8=$10) + hours to make = price. I just want to get a ballpark price on what you guys would sell a CIR ver.2 bracelet, about 7 1/2 inches, with 18g 5/16 mm rings that are stainless steel. I'm about to make another that looks like the sample I made in the attachments for a recent commission. :)

Thanks ahead of time.

~Cat

Woot.

Though I'm lazy and don't know Elfweave. You have a rough ringcount and weight? I wanna see what your new AF is :P

I hate it when I'm asked questions like those!

I can only guess but I think ring count must be around 1300 and weight around 3oz, probably more.

Go on then work out the AF ;)

Cat - I would use the method of:

materials x2 +

all overheads +

fair hourly rate +

profit

I find CIR really difficult and annoying to make so I would probably add an annoyance factor to the price!

Approx US$45-55 is the kinda price I'd put on that.

Edited by Legba3
spelling

I hate it when I'm asked questions like those!

Well, didn't want to make you count for me, was just wondering if you already had it roughly counted and might save me the time.

Go on then work out the AF ;)

Presuming 10 toes, AF = 4.62. Less than your earings which were at 6.94, but a lot more than your bracelet which was at 2.64.

Presuming there's the same weight of silver per ring across all 3 projects, it's not actually that useless. It shows you how profitable each item is.

In more useful terms..

300# is ~$600 US. Lets say you paid $20/oz for your silver. 3 ounces is $60 in costs.

So, you're looking at $540 in wages. Depends on how long that took you to do, which you also didn't mention :P

Supposing you weave at, say, 150 rings per hour, those 1300 rings took you 8 hours 40 minutes.

$540 for 8 hours 40 minutes means you're making $62.30/hour.

Keep it up 40 hours a week 50 weeks a year.. you've got yourself a $125,000 (62,500#) job.

Though I don't know if that's a good job or a bad one for what your cost of living is over there. $125,000/year making jewelry sounds pretty nice to me.

Cat - I would use the method of:

materials x2 +

all overheads +

fair hourly rate +

profit

I find CIR really difficult and annoying to make so I would probably add an annoyance factor to the price!

Approx US$45-55 is the kinda price I'd put on that.

Glad to see someone else agrees with the annoyance factor. lol Would've done version 3 except I didn't get the three rings to stay until I finished the bracelet. :/ Anyway, thanks for the comment, Legba. I'll keep that formula in mind. :)

Hi all,

Quite trivial compared to everything else :P, but, I am curious, and I have quite a few of these:

18g, 1/4 ID. HP4in1 Half AA and half BA. About 225 rings, 20ish inches long. Don't have pics at the moment...

Cost to make.... a few dollars? Can make one in an hour and a half or so. Sell them really to whomever I can for $20. A bracelet which is about half the length sells for half the price... $10. Considering the availability of buyers, which doesn't seem great, might be appropriate.

Don't really have a market for any maille, and although I have actually been mailling for several years, never been very serious and have not found a market. But boy, would I love to find people with the money to buy nicer pieces, like with silver and gold. My mind and fingers are itching to do some serious work.

Very impressed with what I've seen here. :)

Wrong. You have an awesomeness factor of 30. Unless you've lost 9 toes. (Loss of toes indicates amalgamation of valuable life lessons and experience, whereas extra toes indicate you are mutant and probably have other issues that are harming your success).....

(REMOVED MIDDLE PART OF POST TO SAVE SPACE)

.....Behold the power of my silly formula, and all that it reveals!

Your armor prices are beyond dismal. If we step outside my silly "Ringcount/Number of Toes" formula, and go with the one that actually makes sense..

Hourlyrate * Expenses = Price

.. expenses (materials and shipping) make up a much larger chunk of your price with armor (because of the quantities involved per ring), meaning it's even more awful than my CountToes formula makes it out to be.

Yet with earings, if you can weave 100 rings an hour, you're looking at $300/hour for the wage you can command. Why would you ever go back to making shirts for what amounts to $1/hour (BEFORE EXPENSES!)?

.. unless your earings are solid gold, the expenses should hardly scratch the surface, no?

The CountToes formula survives it's first test.

(Sorry I drug this up from wayyyy back--but I am new here and just read this and just HAD to comment ;0)

HOLY MOSES! You have a lot of time on your hands and are too scary/smart with all of that figuring you've been doing!! I laughed very hard at your CountToes formula!!

Thank you! LOL

Great observations you have about pricing and value. I'm agreeing that it appears that the making and selling of mostly earrings seems like the most profitable way to go--now, if I can just find a market for lots of chainmaille earrings... :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great thread everyone! I am enjoying it (and losing sleep reading it! ;)

Edited by Judy

2590703019_5920306d2e.jpg?v=0

This is a Japanese 12-1 in copper with Swarovski crystals on copper headpins and in the chain. It's about 20 inches long total. I have it at $34 on Etsy currently.

2590702443_e26737d882.jpg?v=0

And this is a loose 4-1 in black AA, choker. The beads are pewter and black glass, and the pendant I'm frankly not sure since it's um "upcycled" :) Seems like enamel and faux marcasite. The little chains are fine sterling. I had this on Etsy for $40 and on eBay for $50 with matching earrings.

Am I on target-ish here? Etsy's a bit of a difficult market (someone estimated 10,000 people selling jewelry!!!). I've made a few earrings sales but nothing like this is selling despite extensive networking, blogging, what have you. Considering taking your price-raising advice.

I am interested in selling scalemaille tops and belts for tribal bellydancing, faerie costums, etc. and Scalemaille shirts at ren fairs or for SCA (I know the requirements for SCA are stricter and I will probably do a little more research before I get going.)

These are (horrible) pictures of my first scale project I finished on the drive up to Colorado. I made it for me so I didn't keep track of the time. Many of the ladies I dance with love it and want one for themselves. Any idea what I should charge? I was thinking along $350 for the bra and $150 for a small belt. Any feedback is welcome as I am considering starting a business of scalemaille.

youvegotmaille - I think you up the price of the black necklace. It's very classy looking and I think it would fetch a higher price.

I am interested in selling scalemaille tops and belts for tribal bellydancing, faerie costums, etc. and Scalemaille shirts at ren fairs or for SCA (I know the requirements for SCA are stricter and I will probably do a little more research before I get going.)

These are (horrible) pictures of my first scale project I finished on the drive up to Colorado. I made it for me so I didn't keep track of the time. Many of the ladies I dance with love it and want one for themselves. Any idea what I should charge? I was thinking along $350 for the bra and $150 for a small belt. Any feedback is welcome as I am considering starting a business of scalemaille.

For the dance community, I think that $350-$400 will probably work for you and $150 for the belt as well. You might be able to get more depending on your market area. Remember that cab costumes can run easily into the thousands and beginner costumes range from $299-800. Its a lovely set by the way. Do you have issues with the scales stabbing you when you do rib lift/drops?

I think you'll find that the SCA market won't go that high. You have a lot more people there who can "do it themselves" and often do and most SCAers tend to be broke all the time. I'm not saying there isn't a market there, it will be different from the dance community to whom chainmaille/scale is more uncommon and they are less likely to know how to do it or willing to try to do it themselves. I vended at SCA events to stave off boredom and get some work done on chainmaille more than for the profit expectations.

The Ren faire market, I can' really speak to anymore. I haven't done one in 12 years or so and those were small fairs on the west coast. But they were always a lot of fun!

I may be about to mess things up a bit here:

I wrapped a stone cab in stainless steel HP 3-1 20g1/8 - I cabbed the stone myself and "assembled" the leather cord myself - the stone slabs vary in price from free to $30 and up - the cabs take from 15 minutes to 1 hour to complete

I sell them for $20 - here's one that I gave away in a contest, others are similar wraps, different stones. DSCF1312.jpg

Here are two wraps that I did

Montana agate wrapped in non-tarnish 20g EC - sold for $30

DSCF2039.jpg

This one cab came from a tiny slab that cost me $20 which will only give me two small cabs

Labradorite wrapped in non-tarnish 20g EC - sold for $30

DSCF2037.jpg

Made this stainless steel JPL chain 24" long 18g9/64 - sold this one for $40 (I think)

This tiny 18" stainless steel byz chain made out of 24g1/16 (or smaller) rings - I gave this one away

DSCF0863.jpg

And got this in return - worth more to me than the chain

KIMSPLACE179A.jpg

I've made and given away a lot of wrapped pendants in sterling silver to family....

YES I undersell myself - but I do this because I like it (and I'm crazy)

YES I undersell myself - but I do this because I like it (and I'm crazy)

Tweetiepy,

Not that I would say anything about giving pieces to family and friends, my F&F has started to specify weave and material for their next present. B)

If you like it enough, and are crazy enough, you should increase your prices, and see if you can make a living doing something you love.

youvegotmaille...I LOVE that choker..awesome design ^_^

I made this, Stainless Steel...I'm giving it for free to a friend of mine if she likes it..

Otherwise I suppose I'd sell it for $35, though I haven't worked out the material costs for it, I'm not sure I could get more than $35.

l_cef165624d8ffbf541f758f8b350ce85.jpg

Your opinions?

EDIT: changed picture to one of her wearing it.

Edited by CruxCrusader
Changed picture.

For the dance community, I think that $350-$400 will probably work for you and $150 for the belt as well. You might be able to get more depending on your market area. Remember that cab costumes can run easily into the thousands and beginner costumes range from $299-800. Its a lovely set by the way. Do you have issues with the scales stabbing you when you do rib lift/drops?

I think you'll find that the SCA market won't go that high. You have a lot more people there who can "do it themselves" and often do and most SCAers tend to be broke all the time. I'm not saying there isn't a market there, it will be different from the dance community to whom chainmaille/scale is more uncommon and they are less likely to know how to do it or willing to try to do it themselves. I vended at SCA events to stave off boredom and get some work done on chainmaille more than for the profit expectations.

The Ren faire market, I can' really speak to anymore. I haven't done one in 12 years or so and those were small fairs on the west coast. But they were always a lot of fun!

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like I get to stick with the fun stuff! The colored scales appeal to me more than making scalemaille that can withstand a fast moving rattan sword. ;)

This was my first scalemaille project. (Why start small?!) I haven't had any problems with "getting stabbed" I guess that's cause the part over my belly is attached to the bra and my boobs stick out over my belly (for most of the moves). It just kinda warms to the body and works like a second set of skin.

I'm thinking of starting a shirt for my fiance' that has a Celtic knot pattern in scales. Should be (another) interesting adventure!

My pricing formula = I just figure out how much the rings will cost me to replace, then go with what I think I can get for it depending what market I'm in.

I'll change prices based on if I'm selling direct to someone at a game convention or if I'm selling through a gallery that's going to take 40% off the top. Kids at a game con will spend differently than someone who's looking for an "art piece"

Back in the spring, a 16" 22g 3/32 sterling silver byz necklace with 5 turquoise stones went very easily for $125 Cdn so I'll probably up it next time I do one. I forgot to take a pic of the necklace before I sold it, which was dumb, but it was fairly simple.

Mainly my crowd of selling is to people at poker runs and motorcycle rallies, but my stuff usually sells fairly well at the prices I charge.

This is 19g 1/8" TRL enamelled copper in Jens Pind Linkage. It's 18" long with a sterling silver toggle clasp and a pewter pendant from Fire Mountian Gems. I sell these for $25, or $20 without the pendant.

052.jpg

This is a 20g 5/32" TRL stainless steel Full Perisan chain. It's also 18" long with another FMG pendant. These go for $25.

058.jpg

The pricing system I use is a combonation of my parents and my brother's ideas. My parents own their own buisness and know that undercharging for stuff is just as bad as overcharging. My brother is going to college to be a music composer, so he knows that you don't make money easily in the arts. Soo...

Oh, all my info is kept in Microsoft Excel for ease of use.

I start off with the weave I'm going to use. If I haven't already catalogued it in my laptop, I weave one inch of it in the metal I'll be using. However long it takes me to make one inch, I put it in Excel. Then I actually make the piece.

Next I measure how long the piece is, then multiply it by the number of minutes it took per inch. So if it takes three minutes per inch, and I have a 7 inch chain, it takes me .35 hours.

Then I multiply .35 (number of hours) by $10. If you present your work as a work of art, then charge like an artist. I probably don't charge enough to some people, but then again, I'm not in the priciest of markets.

.35*10 gives me $3.50 for my labor cost. If I'm using TRL's 18g 5/32" AA to make a Euro 4/1 bracelet that's three rows wide, like this

(((((

)))))

(((((

then I would put in the computer that I have 19 rings per inch, and it comes out to costing me $1.40 to make the braclet. I put in $1 for most clasps, unless it's expensive.

I round that up to $3 for materials, and add that to my $3.50 from earlier. As per my brother's request, I add in a 25% markup, bringing it to $8.13. I take that and bump it up to $10, and sell my little braclet as such.

I probably overcomplicate things with this, but once I got the format into Excel (with my mom's help) it's pretty easy to work with. I hope that this possibly helps someone. Good luck.

I did this one the other day. Only 2 hrs to make (given I hadn't done Vertebrae before only did it as a 'can i do it from photo' type thing). Supplies were leftovers from other projects probably $1 in supplies. No clasp on it as of yet.

2hrs * $6.00/hr (wage) = $12.00 + $2 (cost) = $14.00 *.25 markup = $17.50.

3colorvertebrae.jpg

Stats:

18ga 3/16"ID Deep Purple AA (large rings)

20ga 1/8"ID Turquoise AA (edge rings)

20ga 1/8"ID Bright Aluminum (center sm rings)

Length is 7.5" long. I've already sold this (just waiting for my TRL order to get here Wednesday with new clasps.

This is a bracelet of fine silver 20Ga. 1/8" Elfsheet. 3 weaves wide, about 960 rings altogether (1" by 7.5" w/o clasp) Tube or Bar/Ring clasp can"t decide. anyhow Appx. 17 hrs, I would be able to shave some time, but alright for my first elfanything. I didn't really make it to sell or I would have made it skinnier to cut costs as it still looks great @ 9/16" wide. Hard to say what I would charge as the weave is time consuming but $425 seems right. although I can't quit stroking it and repeating "My Precious"

2719_thumb.attach