Julie5150

MAILLE FAQ - All you need to know and then some

87 posts in this topic

Perhaps you could add a few of the better pricing threads? It's a really common question, judging from how often it pops up on here and the M.A.I.L. forum.

Don't spend too much time on any chainmaille forum much anymore, just noticed this now. Well done.

Though, I don't think you emphasize MAIL as a resource nearly heavily enough. I mean, for any questions people have, MAIL is pretty much *the* place to go, no? (Except for discussion and feedback, which TRL is much better at).

There's only a couple passing mentions of it, when, to many questions posed, the first place I think most people do/should go to is MAIL. That's why it exists.

For example, MAIL's weave database is a massive resource, but not specifically mentioned. Actually, there's not really anything mentioned for "Where can I see what I can do with chainmaille?", which might be beneficial to someone looking for inspiration or who has no clue about what maille can do. Post some links to various galleries, and places to look for weaves, not just tutorials.

http://mailleartisans.org/weaves/index.cgi <-- MAIL's weave database.

http://mailleartisans.org/articles/subcat.cgi?key=5 <-- MAIL's tutorial bank (mostly, it's actually any articles about weaves).

Might want to link to MAIL's article database, gallery, etc, where relevant. I see the top link to MAIL, but, specific links might be good too.

CCW! I missed your post, so sorry! I'll get that that.

JadeDragon - Thank you, glad you like :)

Cynake - Thanks you :)

I fear that my original goal of the links was to link to as many different places as possible. However, near the end I found that wasn't quite possible and I agree that some subjects would be better covered with a larger variety of places to go.

I'll take some time to look over things at MAIL and some other places and add more in.

Julie,

I found a supplier that carries solid copper toggles and beads. I was actually at a gem show yesterday and they were there. Needless to say, I left with a sack full of copper! Anyways, super nice people, beautiful beads and findings. Here's their site.

http://www.elephanteyebeads.com

-kat

How about craft rings, I've always had people asking me especially newbies where I get from and I get them from Michaels and sometimes Hoby Lobby but mostly Michaels.

Guinevere.

Phenomenal post. There are links to products and sites I never thought of even looking for in this thread, and now I'll have my work cut out for me searching through them all!

I especially appreciate the ring storage media links you've gathered. I've had a rough time finding containers well-suited to my storage needs, and have been using tackle box divided storage tray thingies for years. Maybe I'll find something among those links that will work better for me.

I recommend this thread to anyone starting out, or in need of information. If it isn't a standard FAQ, I think it ought to be.

Indeed!

The first post to this thread is so huge I'm afraid that I'll destroy it if I keep adjusting it and tinkering with it - so I'm leaving it alone and inviting everyone to make your own addition to this thread to keep things fresh and growing.

Happy mailling :)

You know, Julie, M.A.I.L. has had a Mailler's FAQ for about 3 years now, that's never really gotten fully fleshed.

Mailler's FAQ

You've managed to compile an incredible list of stuff here, most of which would really dovetail nicely into what's already there, and we've been looking for a FAQ manager for a long time.... *hint* *hint* 8-D

It's currently a tad M.A.I.L.-centric, and could use some fresh info and links anyway!

I am new here and have some questions about the byzantine pattern. I want to do that pattern and am not sure if I am putting the rings together correctly or not. It says to put 3 together and then take the outer 2 and put a ring thru that. Then do I put on 2 more sets of rings and start over or only one set of rings and start over the pattern?

I learned on Byz, it can be hard to grasp at first, but once you get it going it can go quite fast. If it gets too frustrating, take a break, clear your head and then look at it, it will fall into place eventually.

hope this helps, rings are larger than normal for the weave but makes it easier to see, plus its what i had on hand immediately.

byzknot.jpg

once you get to the last part, add as many connectors as you need and then repeat down the line. the flipping of the rings for the knot is the hardest part to visualise. for me it was atleast.

D. Alex Reams likes this