Julie5150

MAILLE FAQ - All you need to know and then some

86 posts in this topic

I am new here and have some questions about the byzantine pattern. I want to do that pattern and am not sure if I am putting the rings together correctly or not. It says to put 3 together and then take the outer 2 and put a ring thru that. Then do I put on 2 more sets of rings and start over or only one set of rings and start over the pattern?

I will tell you what I told some others on another thread. If you have trouble learning from 2-D renders/pictures I HIGHLY recommend that you learn from Spider's DVDs. That's how I learned, and I never had a minutes trouble picking weaves up that way. I had a horrible time trying to learn from 2-D stuff. I just "see" better in 3-D, or something. I like her teaching style and you get to see EVERYTHING (I think part of the problem with static pics is that you can't envision HOW the ring got where it is from one pic to the next). Anyhow--TOTALLY worth the money to learn in a way that is SO MUCH LESS FRUSTRATING,

Here is a link to where TRL sells them (go down the pg and look for the "Bracelet Weaving/ Weaving Silver" DVDs.)

http://theringlord.com/cart/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=9&cat=Instructions

Good luck!!

EDIT: Hahaha--I just noticed how old that post was I just responded to! Silly me! I will leave this up, tho, for anyone else who comes in and is having trouble learning ;) Really--these weaves are just not as hard as it seems if you have a good teacher! The 2-D, static image way of learning is just sooo much more difficult than seeing all of the movements on DVD. I just can't tell you how GRATEFUL I was when I was learning that Spider had done these DVDs. I surely would have given up on the craft of chainmaille out of frustration otherwise!

Edited by Judy
I just noticed how old the post I replied to was!!

Not sure if this is where it should be mentioned but a LOT of the links refer to posts on TRL that no longer exist it seems. Many of the Weave Help links are the culprits, though I did not click on each and every one.

I never saw this link before in all the times that I have been on here lol, well now I know about it & I had also saved a few of the links on here :P but thanks all that had added it & also big thanks to the person that started the thread :D

I was so happy to find this article!!! I was hoping to find a list similar to the one that shows ring sizes for different weaves that also includes the number of rings needed for a few items . You know like bracelets, necklaces, etc. Do you know of one that is out there already?

Thanks

Jane

Ok - this post is still pinned and it's very old and the links are extremely outdated.

I left it alone for a while, worried that if I messed with it too much - and made it more complicated - it would bottom out and the entire post would get scrambled. However, with the forum-changes and so forth I feel that perhaps it's not such a worry, anymore, so I'm going to work on it over the next few weeks - tweak it, fix it, repair links and relocate information.

Be patient - it took me forever to gather the info the first time and it'll take a while this go around, as well. But nothing's more aweful that a useless 'useful' collection of dead end information.

Julie thank you so much for this. This is a great help to me. I wonder if you have more resources for inlay. I know I'm not nearly advanced enough to be working on it, but I'd like to learn a little bit about it. I wouldn't even know how to begin to start that. I have a project in mind, it's for a flag. Granted, I don't want it to be huge, but I'd like it to be about 3' x 2' or so. And how do you calculate how many rings you need for something like that. The mind boggles.

First off I think you should mention http://cgmaille.com/tutorials.shtml is a ridiculously easy/helpful starting point for learning good starter weaves.

I think it would also be useful to add a short list of the most popular weaves that are also fast and super easy, just to give people an idea of where to start. I'm thinking weaves like...

Byzantine http://www.mailleartisans.org/articles/articledisplay.cgi?key=169

European 4-1 http://cgmaille.com/tutorials/hp4-1.shtml (Although this is not the method I use. I make the strips from individual 5 rings units, and join individual strips by "stitching" up the middle. This way you don't have to always be holding your entire piece all the time you're working.)

Half Persian 4-1(I would say 3-1, but I think we can all agree it's about the same difficulty and looks much nicer) http://cgmaille.com/tutorials/hp4-1.shtml

Full Persian http://cgmaille.com/tutorials/fullpersian.shtml

Candy Cane Cord http://www.mailleartisans.org/articles/articledisplay.cgi?key=149847

RM/Boxchain http://www.mailleartisans.org/articles/articledisplay.cgi?key=6217

Fieldstone http://www.mailleartisans.org/articles/articledisplay.cgi?key=99337

Basic spiral http://www.mailleartisans.org/articles/articledisplay.cgi?key=6197

And then maybe a tier 2 list- weaves that are a little trickier, but still pretty fast or easy once you get the hang of them.

Elfweave http://cgmaille.com/tutorials/elfweave.shtml

(and sheet thereof). http://cgmaille.com/tutorials/elfsheet.shtml

Hp 6-1 sheet. http://cgmaille.com/tutorials/hpsheet6.shtml

Byzantine sheet. http://www.mailleartisans.org/articles/articledisplay.cgi?key=13016

Dragonscale http://cgmaille.com/tutorials/dragonscale.shtml

And that's all off the top of my head.

Heh, these two are dead links, and they were the exact questions I was looking for. (Just wanted second opinion, ya know?)

Which rings work with ___ weave?

Metal Designs reference

What AR works with what weaves?

Zlosk's help

Heh, these two are dead links, and they were the exact questions I was looking for. (Just wanted second opinion, ya know?)

Metal Designs reference

Zlosk's help

A lot of the links are dead on this FAQ. I started a topic a while back for newer sources. In the mean time, check out the links M.A.I.L. and under the weaves section. It'll give you an AR which you can use for the respective weaves. Just match up the AR they give with the AR on TRL, and you're good to go. (remember, if you go above the number they give, you'll get a looser weave, and lower it'll be tight or may not work.)

A lot of the links are dead on this FAQ. I started a topic a while back for newer sources. In the mean time, check out the links M.A.I.L. and under the weaves section. It'll give you an AR which you can use for the respective weaves. Just match up the AR they give with the AR on TRL, and you're good to go. (remember, if you go above the number they give, you'll get a looser weave, and lower it'll be tight or may not work.)

I know - it's so old! I wandered away from mailling for a while and just wasn't around.

This next week I will begin the process of rediscovering info for the dead links and reworking it. I might even reorganize the whole thing. I've made a list of all the broken links and outdated topics and I'll do search, find, snag and insert as I come across the new info.

It wasn't possible without others chiming in - I edited it a million times - so I will pm people, the oldies and goodies, adn drag them out of the woodwork so they can help me tidy it up again.

I'm giving myself 1 week to update it and reorganize it completely.

Metal Designs reference

Zlosk's help

Hmm. Sorry I didn't notice this earlier, but my domain moved. Instead of "http://home.comcast.net/~zlosk", my site is now at "www.zlosk.com". The site structure has remained the same, so the aspect ratio table is now at www.zlosk.com/maille/artable.html.

Hi All. I hope that someone can help? I have been reading some of the other threads and they seem to have a lot of abbreveations for different weaves. I was wondering if there is a list of abbreviations on here somewhere? I have looked but can't seem to find one (doesn't mean there isn't one - just means I might be a bit slow)

THANKS!!!!

Hi All. I hope that someone can help? I have been reading some of the other threads and they seem to have a lot of abbreveations for different weaves. I was wondering if there is a list of abbreviations on here somewhere? I have looked but can't seem to find one (doesn't mean there isn't one - just means I might be a bit slow)

THANKS!!!!

Some of the more popular ones that you will see abbreviated are

• Captive Inverted Round = CIR
  • European = E
  • Japanese = J
  • Full Persian = FP
  • Half Persian = HP
  • Interwoven = I
  • Inverted Round = IR
  • Jens Pind Linkage = JPL

Also following any of these may be a set of numbers such as E4-1 which stands for European 4 in 1.

The numbers may also be followed by the letter S and a number such as HP3-1S6 which stands for Half Persian 3 in 1 Sheet 6.

I am sure there are others but those are the ones I can think of right now hope that helps some.

autumndawnzz and mimic like this

Thank you so much!

Not a problem. I'm just glad I could help.

On a side note I am currently working on making a new list of all the links provided in the main article to post here.

Ok I believe I got all the links updated from this list. It should provide guidance to all the answers you may need if you're willing to search for it.

All you need to know and more - a compilation of posts and websites that are the most informational and helpful concerning all the major and repeated subjects.

Right now it has holes in it - missing info and so on - so please say something if I need to add, change, edit, etc.

+++++

There are a few excellent sites that cover all - or most - of this information.

The Ring Lord is just one of many.

Two more excellent sources for history, how to's, inspiration and info galore:

Arador

Maille Artisans

Mail Artisans Library of Articles (every subject I touch on and more)

And classic info:

Wikipedia - about Chainmail

Now - I really suggest you go to the faq section in the forum - covers so much good stuff...far more than what I've put into this list. TRL FAQ

But- because you might need info in a quick click:

(I tried to choose a different source site for every reference in hopes to spread knowledge of the larger community)

The Craft

Where do I begin?

Intro to Maille

I want to get started making my own rings and maille and I know nothing

D Norris can help

Is it Chainmaille, Maille, Mail, Chain Mail?

TRL post

What is a 'weave'

The term 'weave' refers to how the rings are put together to form a pattern, simply put - but...go here for more information on that term and it's many uses:

Chainmail basket can help

What is __ part of armor called?

Geared more towards plate but may still be helpful

Ring related specifics

Ring Size chart

TRL ring-cutting methods

The Ring Lord reference (also includes ring strength (will it work?) )

Metal Designs reference

Zlosk's help

http://www.chainmailbasket.com/weavechart.php

Fraction/Decimal/Metric conversion chart

Tools of the Trade

I have my rings but I want to know other ways of cutting them

Wire cutters -TRL

Tools for saw cutting - TRL

Other Tools to use

Pliers - TRL

Mandrels

Calipers

EZ earring tool (for making your own earring wires)

Ways to permanently close your rings (will make your weave stronger)

Welders - TRL

Derakon's Soldering Primer

Riveted Rings

Ring Storage

I have all these rings and beads and things - and where do I put them?

Different types/sizes tins in bulk

Container with hinge

Shipwreck beads - bead storage

Tackle Boxes

Tumbling rings &

Polishing rings

Tumbling media - TRL post -Broken

TRL Tumblers and tumbling media

Tumble Polishing

What Is?

What is wire Gauge?

What is Awg / Swg?

What is AR?

What is butted / Riveted Maille

Fourth Armoury

What is ID?

What is a mandrel?

and any other what is you can think of:

Know Your Maille Terms

Weave help:

Where can I find good tutorials / how to's?

The Ring Lord's downloadable book - great if you don't have constant net access

TRL Instructions: Books

Phong's Tutorials

Derakon's Library

Maille Artisans Weave Home - Search for most any weave.

Making maille is so tedious and I hate it!

TRL sells welded maille by the foot in a variety of gauges and ring sizes.

Help, I have __ problem with: (listing 4 most common, trinity 'cause I just like it)

Dragonscale:

Can I speedweave Dragonscale? - TRL post

*Jen's Pinds

Jen's Pinds - wrong id, doesn't weave right - TRL Post

*Persian

Half Persian 4/1 help - TRL Post

HP 3/1 Cabochon wrapping - TRL Post

*Trinity

Derakon's library

Can I make my own curb chain?

Ganoskin can help

Scale Maille

What is it? How do I do it? Where do I buy the scales

TRL Scale page has all you need

Inlay Graph Paper

Zlosk can help with this, too Sorry - us few Mac users are in the cold for this - so we must use:

MailleWorks graph paper

and because I'm a Mac user I've found that it works best with Palette or Photo Edit

Wirework help:

Twisted Wire - Lapidary Journal

Bead and Jewelry stuff:

Jewelry Introduction

Types of cuts

Adding in Beads

How to make your own clasp

Metals to use - TRL Post

Weaving GSG

Lampwork bead info

Finger ring size conversion chart For when you don't have a mandrel - and you need to figure it all out with some good old math.

Another one - this is a list, not a calculator, I found it more useful at a glance

Bead and Button - for a lot of bead related facts, tutorials and help.

Where can I buy beads and other supplies locally?

local bead store search engine

How do I take really nice photographs of my pieces?

MKDigital Direct - excellent resource Provides ideas and tips for all types - especially photographing gold, silver and platinum

TableTopStudio - another good resource

Where Can I sell my pieces?

Where can I buy other people's maille?

Business Stuff

Maille Market

Ebay

Etsy (credit card is required)

Or start your own website:

How do I start my own website?

How do I start a small business?

How Do I do anything else business related?

Entrepreneur.com

Small Business Administration

And post your stuff in the gallery for all of us to oogle!!

Edited by Waluy
yarngirl52 likes this

Ok I believe I got all the links updated from this list. It should provide guidance to all the answers you may need if you're willing to search for it.

All you need to know and more - a compilation of posts and websites that are the most informational and helpful concerning all the major and repeated subjects.

Right now it has holes in it - missing info and so on - so please say something if I need to add, change, edit, etc.

+++++

There are a few excellent sites that cover all - or most - of this information.

The Ring Lord is just one of many.

Two more excellent sources for history, how to's, inspiration and info galore:

Arador

Maille Artisans

Mail Artisans Library of Articles (every subject I touch on and more)

And classic info:

Wikipedia - about Chainmail

Now - I really suggest you go to the faq section in the forum - covers so much good stuff...far more than what I've put into this list. TRL FAQ

But- because you might need info in a quick click:

(I tried to choose a different source site for every reference in hopes to spread knowledge of the larger community)

The Craft

Where do I begin?

Intro to Maille

I want to get started making my own rings and maille and I know nothing

D Norris can help

Is it Chainmaille, Maille, Mail, Chain Mail?

TRL post

What is a 'weave'

The term 'weave' refers to how the rings are put together to form a pattern, simply put - but...go here for more information on that term and it's many uses:

Chainmail basket can help

What is __ part of armor called?

Geared more towards plate but may still be helpful

Ring related specifics

Ring Size chart

TRL ring-cutting methods

The Ring Lord reference (also includes ring strength (will it work?) )

Metal Designs reference

Zlosk's help

Fraction/Decimal/Metric conversion chart

Tools of the Trade

I have my rings but I want to know other ways of cutting them

Wire cutters -TRL

Tools for saw cutting - TRL

Other Tools to use

Pliers - TRL

Mandrels

Calipers

EZ earring tool (for making your own earring wires)

Ways to permanently close your rings (will make your weave stronger)

Welders - TRL

Derakon's Soldering Primer

Riveted Rings

Ring Storage

I have all these rings and beads and things - and where do I put them?

Different types/sizes tins in bulk

Container with hinge

Shipwreck beads - bead storage

Tackle Boxes

Tumbling rings &

Polishing rings

Tumbling media - TRL post -Broken

TRL Tumblers and tumbling media

Tumble Polishing

What Is?

What is wire Gauge?

What is Awg / Swg?

What is AR?

What is butted / Riveted Maille

Fourth Armoury

What is ID?

What is a mandrel?

and any other what is you can think of:

Know Your Maille Terms

Weave help:

Where can I find good tutorials / how to's?

The Ring Lord's downloadable book - great if you don't have constant net access

TRL Instructions: Books

Phong's Tutorials

Derakon's Library

Maille Artisans Weave Home - Search for most any weave.

Making maille is so tedious and I hate it!

TRL sells welded maille by the foot in a variety of gauges and ring sizes.

Help, I have __ problem with: (listing 4 most common, trinity 'cause I just like it)

Dragonscale:

Can I speedweave Dragonscale? - TRL post

*Jen's Pinds

Jen's Pinds - wrong id, doesn't weave right - TRL Post

*Persian

Half Persian 4/1 help - TRL Post

HP 3/1 Cabochon wrapping - TRL Post

*Trinity

Derakon's library

Can I make my own curb chain?

Ganoskin can help

Scale Maille

What is it? How do I do it? Where do I buy the scales

TRL Scale page has all you need

Inlay Graph Paper

Zlosk can help with this, too Sorry - us few Mac users are in the cold for this - so we must use:

MailleWorks graph paper

and because I'm a Mac user I've found that it works best with Palette or Photo Edit

Wirework help:

Twisted Wire - Lapidary Journal

Bead and Jewelry stuff:

Jewelry Introduction

Types of cuts

Adding in Beads

How to make your own clasp

Metals to use - TRL Post

Weaving GSG

Lampwork bead info

Finger ring size conversion chart For when you don't have a mandrel - and you need to figure it all out with some good old math.

Another one - this is a list, not a calculator, I found it more useful at a glance

Bead and Button - for a lot of bead related facts, tutorials and help.

Where can I buy beads and other supplies locally?

local bead store search engine

How do I take really nice photographs of my pieces?

MKDigital Direct - excellent resource Provides ideas and tips for all types - especially photographing gold, silver and platinum

TableTopStudio - another good resource

Where Can I sell my pieces?

Where can I buy other people's maille?

Business Stuff

Maille Market

Ebay

Etsy (credit card is required)

Or start your own website:

How do I start my own website?

How do I start a small business?

How Do I do anything else business related?

Entrepreneur.com

Small Business Administration

And post your stuff in the gallery for all of us to oogle!!

Thanks for the update. I guess I should start reading at the end.