Demetrius27

Scale mail vest project

New guy here, so hello everybody!

So I will be keeping this short... basically I was planning on making a vest out of small, golden aluminum scales and plain aluminum rings. However, I am clueless as what size of rings to buy... as well as how much scales and rings I'll be needing for this (roughly).

That is all! =D

For the small scales, the recommended ring size is 18 ga. 3/16". For a vest I would suggest stainless steel or split rings rather than aluminium rings. You'll need 1000 small scales per square foot, and at least twice as many rings.

If weight is top priority then the best rings for your application are welded stainless steel. Aluminum rings need to be much thicker to hold up well and as a result they weigh more while being much weaker. You'd shave about 20% off of the total weight of the piece using welded 21g 7/32" rings. This is what professional costumers use because it's lighter, stronger and fits much better.

If you don't have a welder and don't want to have someone else make it for you then #3 fine gauge split rings from www.worthco.com are the next best option. They weigh more per thousand than the aluminum rings but they reduce the amount of scales used to about 850/sqft for a %10 total weight savings with better fit and flexibility. Be warned though, split rings can chafe.

Aluminum 18g 3/16" rings are a distant third place because they're really cheap and lighter than the munitions grade split rings that TRL sells. They're pretty weak, expect to have to do repairs around the armpits and shoulders every once in a while.