cfox248

Captive Inverted Round frustration

So today I went on my quest to make a captive inverted round with 2 captive rings (Or 3), as I personally don't care too much for the look of them with 1 (Though I am okay with alternating). I grabbed some 18g 1/4 and went to it, and found that capturing 2 rings made it so stiff it wouldn't bend. So I backed up and tried it with alternating 2 captive and 1 captive, and it became able to bend, but not enough for a bracelet - which is what I want to make. I had read that that size ring should work, so this was rather irritating. 

All of my googling is being minimally helpful. Ideally i'd like the bracelet to not be completely huge in diameter - the 18g 1/4 was perfect - so the 16g 5/16 I see recommended is just too big I would think (Who is going to want that chunky thing on their wrist?) - if someone has a picture of one made in that size It's be nice to check it out.

Can somebody provide a list of possible ring sizes? Nothing is more frustrating than getting partway through a project and realizing it won't work. I would even be okay with using different diameter rings if I have to (and if I have them), though of course ideally they'd be the same size. I so wanted the 18g 1/4 to work! I have SO many of those, haha. 

And if anyone's got pictures of theirs as examples, I'd love to see them!

I haven't done CIR with captive rings, but I do use beads with this weave. I have found that it can be a big help to have 1 captive set, 1 empty 1 captive.  That allows the piece to bend easily, maintains a pleasing pattern.  In a bracelet all of the rings are the same size, in a necklace I use smaller rings for 2 empty sets between captive beads.  It bends beautifully, has a certain elegance and looks nice with pretty much any outfit.

Here are a couple of pics, the first is the bracelet, the second is the necklace. In the bracelet the rings are all 3/16", in the necklace the small are 3/16" and the large are 3/8".  All rings are made of 18 gauge stainless wire.

Hope I helped. :)

IMG_3483closeup_zps5af2ed51.jpg

IMG_3062_zpsd19ea41c.jpg

Edited by Kittensoft_Chainmail

I actually really like how those look, with the intermittent beads! I will 100% have to do that. 1000%. Loving it! I even have the ring sizes for it. I know my next project :D

I also do like knowing how to make corners with the roundmaille - I was thinking about trying out some structural stuff with it and that will help immensely.

I do still want to know the secrets behind the captive round with 2 captive if anyone knows it, haha. 

Just a side point here on your comment about having looked up what sizes work. That size does work. CIR is most often uses as structural mail. It not bending is most often what is intended. If you want flexing CIR you need to go to the very far end of the AR range. 

This is one of my favorite weaves but that is mostly because I make a lot of solid chainmail. If I was to make it for something not solid I would alternate between a segment of CIR and then one of just inverted round using smaller rings. 

-Edit- Much like Kittensoft above did with beads. Those are beautiful BTW.

Edited by stome

This is a great discussion. One of the very first things I made when I started chainmaille was 18 swg 1/4" captive round with beads - it wasn't quite flexible enough for a bracelet, and I didn't want to make a necklace (and it was silver so I had sunk some $ in it), and months later it's still waiting for me to figure out what to do with it. Now I know!