strhunter2

is saw cut worth it?

so ive been making mail for a while but recently ive been thinking about trying to sell at craftshows

but first im would like to know from some people with experiance, do you think the extra cost and time for saw cut rings is worth it or should i just stick with machine cut?
right now for a standard ( hp3-1,hp4-1, byz, square ect) machine cut bracelet with EDPM rings i can get 15$ each
Thanks,
Strhunter2

Depends on the quality you want to show with your work. Jewelry should be saw cut with good closures. Armour can be machine cut since it does not really touch skin. All my jewelry is saw cut except rings that are too small to cut.

Absolutely worth it!  I don't make any jewelry from machine cut.  The slight divot from the cutting does make a difference in the feel of the piece.  Even the look is much better with machine cut.  So yes, I'd go with saw cut if you plan on doing shows and exhibiting your work.

My 2 rings anyway!  :)

Cheers!

Talon

okay thanks guys, any tips on how to get OCD perfect closures on sawcut rings? lol

Practice, Practice, Practice.  No really, you just close them and see what happens.  Look at what you got and learn what to do better next time.  I push in a bit to close the gap made by the saw, and work to make the joint as unnoticeable as possible.  I then run my fingers over the piece to find rings I need to touch up the closure on.  

In general saw cut are worth it for jewelry, however if you're doing aluminum/rubber combos it's far more important to get the right look color wise if you want to sell a lot. Focus on getting anodized rings that match the EPDM as closely as possible and don't worry too much if they aren't available in saw cut.

sorry lorenzo but what do you mean by

"Focus on getting anodized rings that match the EPDM as closely as possible" ?

Thanks,

Strhunter

Lorenzo means colour. The machine cut is anodized differently from the saw cut and matches the rubber rings much more closely.

I'm squarely in the saw cut camp. There's no comparison for looks when you put them side by side.

How do you close them perfectly? Grip the rings by as much of the ring as possible with your pliers, with the minimal pressure required to hold them without slipping. run your pliers around the cut ends of the wire to eliminate any lingering burrs. Bend past where they will meet so that when they springback they fall into proper place, while pushing together slightly to close the gap caused by the kerf of the sawblade--listen for the little click to know they are there. Run your pliers around the the joint to eliminate any really stubborn burrs. Then run your fingertip or fingernail across the joint to see if there is any snag that you can't see but might feel. Repeat.

I usually avoid speed weaving, as I feel not doing so allows more contact by the plier tip with the ring within the weave for better closures. I don't know that the entire piece takes any longer anyway, sure-you build the weave faster when speed weaving, but you still had to take the time to pre-close and pre-open all the rings you're going to use, right?

Finally, I usually work under magnification, so that the imperfections standout. When I can make it near perfect under magnification and to my sense of touch, I know it will appear absolutely perfect to the naked eye. Does all this take longer? Probably, at least at first. But I still close between 2-3 rings per minute, depending on the weave, while doing all this, and that's fast enough for me. Its not a race, right? I'm doing it because I love doing it anyway!

Madd stated this very well.  I have made mostly jewlery, with a couple of scuplture pieces.  Almost everything has been saw cut.  The only Machine cut rings I used was when I was first starting out.  Aside from what Madd said above, the best way I know I've closed a ring properly is when I make a mistake in the weave, and have to undo some rings, and then spend a significant amount of time trying to find the actual closure to undo it.  With machine cut, even a good closure is still easy to find with a fingernail.  I also go with the maginfication, I have a jeweler's headset that I use when I'm weaving, which shows imperfections much quicker then by the naked eye.  Though I am a little biased, as I also cut my own rings for the most part.  I love being able to say, "This piece, started from that  spool of wire over there."  Though I'm not in it to sell, at least not yet.  All my pieces have been gifts at this point.