Galileo

Riveted silver?

Anyone ever made riveted maille from silver rings? 

My muse is cruel and has locked this in my head. Looking at making wedge-riveted silver stuff (probably 20g sterling, since I have a bit of it laying around here). 

I haven't made up my drift yet, but I can easily make the rivet setting pliers and the cutters with what I have here.

Anyone see any problems with the idea (other than the expense of the material)?

G--

I have never tried riveting silver, but I would suspect that the material would be too soft to take the abuse of being riveted,  and 20 ga is pretty fine material to do riveting, even in steel. 

The first question that comes to my mind is why?  what reason or purpose is there to riveting silver in the first place?

If you do ive it a whirl, please remember to post pics and the results!

Cheers!

Talon

20 ga. SWG or AWG? Either way, those rivets will be *tiny*, so some magnifyers might be in order. I would probably not trust the riveted rings to take as much strain as soldered would, but otherwise don't forsee too many problems. Silver is a good material for this kind of fine work, after all.

It's been done before, I don't know firsthand but the process and results should be the same as with copper.

So using medium or hard silver solder and a small torch is a nonstarter?  Does make a nice, invisible join.

The silver would probably cooperate well, being malleable.  Though indeed, you may find you want heavier wire to try this in.