Martha

Finger calluses

I was wondering how others deal with the calluses that form on their fingers from using pliers? I've been making quite a few holiday ornaments and the fingers on my right hand are really callused and sore. I've had to stop for a few days to allow a couple to heal after they split open and bled.

I've been using gel tubes designed for toes and they help some, but I would like to find some gloves that fit tight, and that I can snip the tips of the fingers out of. Good gripping would be helpful too. Perhaps driving gloves?

Any and all help and ideas would be welcome... Brightest Blessings...  Martha

I was having this problem earlier in the year for awhile. I ended up using foam first aid tape, specifically 3M:Nexcare - Absolute Waterproof Tape, I'm sure there are other/off brands too though.

Edited by kegas76

A lot of us start by padding the plier handles,

Vet wrap works well, though some use other materials as well.

A good lotion designed for damaged skin can be a real life saver.

Apply lotion and wear thin cotton gloves overnight can help a lot.

It may be the palm up reverse grip method.

Or one of the other alternative grips.

I find a lot of wear is from burrs on saw cut rings or machine cut rings more from handling the rings themselves then using the pliers.

odd...i don't find my fingers get much attention.  the pliers tend to sit more in the meaty parts of my palms if anywhere

That's why the padded cyclist's gloves work well...protects my palms.

Yes, mine go away too when I stop for a while...but while I have them they hurt and split open...making it really hard to work.

Skin hardens after time. I`ve made so many steel hauberks in my life, that I no longer have calouses, especially after working with aluminium.

As for your case - prevention is crucial. I used lightly padded gloves and often changed hands and pliers handles positioning on fingers.