Sign in to follow this  
Firevixen

Dragon tail out of scalemail

I really want to make an entire dragon outfit (by entire i do not mean it will cover my entire body). I have a general idea on how to go about most of the pieces, but the tail!!! I'm lost. I plan on using the large scales, but have no idea how to begin to guess at how many scales I will need or how to make the "spine" a different color without being zig zagging down. If anyone has any input on making a dragon tail please help.

I know people in this group have done this before, so perhaps one of them will wander in to help.  For you to have a straight spine you will need to have it multiple scales wide.  It will need to be 2 then 1 or 3 then 2, or however wide you want it.  Single scale going straight won't work at all.  

Doing a quick image search shows that the basic idea is to make a sheet of scales the length you want, and taper it.  Turn the sheet into a tube by connecting the two edges together.  Make belt loops from chains and attach them to the inside of the scales.  To work out how many scales build one out of paper to work out what size you want.  Then measure the paper to find out your square footage.  You need 300 large scales, or 1,000 small scales per foot.

I was also wrong about being able to do a single row of colored scales.  http://dracoloricatus.deviantart.com/art/Aluminum-dragon-tail-dramatic-131346397?q=gallery%3Adracoloricatus%2F11806643&qo=188  The link shows an example of how to do it.  The trick is that the colored scales are every other row of scales.  

I made a dragon costume for a convention this past year, and while it wasn't *all* chainmail there was scale involved. One of my ah-ha moments was the tail; I used a tube of fabric and a pool noodle cut into pieces, and pulled the fabric alternately over or through the hole in the noodle. Light weight, and flexes in all directions at each 'joint' for a really nice swinging motion.

Point is; if you find your scale tube sort of flatish, I'd suggest stuffing it with pool noodle for a round and light-weight inner core. Done that way, you might be able to make a tube of regular E4-in-1 (potentially faster and lighter) and then just scale the ridge.

Completely beside the point, but I have a mask made by that guy

http://dracoloricatu...11806643&qo=188  The link shows an example of how to do it.  The trick is that the colored scales are every other row of scales.

it is fantastically amazing.

I did mine a little differently by working some plates in of gradually increasing size.  They're made from light guage steel sheets which you can find at places like Hobby Lobby, and which can be easily cut with a good pair of tin snips,  and then I covered them with leather and drilled some holes in the sides .

I wanted a slightly fat look, so I didn't taper the lower portion at all,  it's all in the upper portion.  I complimented the taper of the plate with 2 contractions on the topside to make it a little bit more even.

Underside

DSCF0045_zps8896c880.jpg

Topside
DSCF0046_zpsa3fdbe07.jpg

The basic concept is the same though,  make a tube that gradually gets thinner as you move down.

For that,  use this weave every few rows (would be best done on the underside in your case so it doesn't interfere with the colored spine):

dsc_0225-800x5301.jpg

I also suggest making everything as a flat sheet first,  and then closing it as the last step.

Edited by Vinderex

Doing a quick image search shows that the basic idea is to make a sheet of scales the length you want, and taper it. Turn the sheet into a tube by connecting the two edges together. Make belt loops from chains and attach them to the inside of the scales. To work out how many scales build one out of paper to work out what size you want. Then measure the paper to find out your square footage. You need 300 large scales, or 1,000 small scales per foot.

I was also wrong about being able to do a single row of colored scales. http://dracoloricatus.deviantart.com/art/Aluminum-dragon-tail-dramatic-131346397?q=gallery%3Adracoloricatus%2F11806643&qo=188 The link shows an example of how to do it. The trick is that the colored scales are every other row of scales.

There is a guy on deviant art that makes tails and used to sell them. He did a tutorial and suggests working in the round, not working flat. I am on my phone now so I can't get the link but searching DA for scaled dragon tail should find it.