calyx

Stretch bracelets vs loom bracelets

Hey all, I came out of hibernation to do some more selling, made a bunch of stretch bracelets for it (my favourite, working through lots of exotic weaves too!) and.... nothing. Just like earlier this year. Almost no sales on those. Plenty on everything else (including stretchy scaley ones). Huh? 

I used to sell a bunch of them a couple of years ago; they were my mainstay. My partner insists that most stretch bracelets look superficially like newfangled loom bracelets, which people are uninterested in paying money for, and are in fact getting "past it". 

Had any similar experiences/comparisons?

Do people know what chainmaille is at your venues? Mine never do (Australia I suppose...) so they're going on first impressions. 

As always, I've sold stretch bracelets mostly in baskets for people to pick up, and people definitely do, but they've stopped buying em anywhere near as much, can't figure out why except the occasional "that's like a loom band!" comment.

Ah right, thanks for sharing.  :hope:

As luck would have it, I sold a couple of beefy stretch bracelets today I made recently with stainless steel and black rubber - guess they don't look like loom bracelets. Might concentrate more on the monotone ones for a while. Brass and copper with rubber too.

If it is the rainbow loom thing, I guess it would really depend upon who's looking. Probably not so much an issue at a con. I get a lot of mothers and grandmothers.

I would not be so sure. Everyone has a neice or little sister who is into those, it seems.

Which is why I think people are reluctant to buy something that looks like them - they're a DIY thing you buy the materials for.

I've seen a lot of conversations on Facebook about this.  Lots of mailers have vented about having their work compared to loom bands.  I personally, don't care about it if the person doesn't insinuate that my work is worthless due to the connection.