blackKat

Best rings for a chainmail bag (big/strong enough for a laptop)

I have only made chainmail jewelry before and realized when prepping this project idea that I wasn't sure what g and what thick ness to use. Planning on mixing 4-1 and 6-1 as well as playing with other weaves for design but if you think one weave would be best for the base I would love suggestions because I don't want to finish and find that the bag isn't strong enough or is to heavy to use. I was thinking of AA but again I have only done jewelry before so other experiences are much appreciated.

Thank you,

Kat

For a laptop out of AA you're going to want to go with at least a 16 gauge wire, and probably nothing larger than 3/8" ID.  With stainless you can probably get away with 18 gauge and 1/4" ID, but that will  be quite a bit heavier than AA.

Lining it can be another way to use a lighter wire/larger ring ID, but then you have the fun of figuring out how you want to attach it the liner to the shell of the bag. Sewing can work, but it can be a bit of a pain, and unless your rings are soldered, the threads can work out, requiring occasional repairs.  The advantage of this is a cloth liner will keep any friction damage between the rings and the laptop case to a minimum.

Just a couple of thoughts I hope are helpful.

Thanks I think I have an appropriate plan and I will definitely be adding a liner as the idea of walking around with my laptop grinding at the bag sounds awful. It will definitely be more durable thank my duct tape and zip-ties bag. 

Thanks again

Kat

I ended up using the 16g 3/8th for my bag and it is almost done and can hold its weight I will put up pictures after I finish the flap and the trim but I wanted to say thanks because if I had gone with my instincts it wold not have looked this good. :biggrin: