sir_osis

motor size

I-m building a ring cutter (think ringinator style) and i'm wondering if my 1/8hp dc motor will work. It has a foot pedal throttle of sorts so itd be awesome if it would

Do you know the specifications of the motor? I use a cheap corded drill, in mine, that's rated at 4.5 Amps current draw. It doesn't seem to have much trouble with aluminum, brass, or bronze at appropriate speeds. I would recommend using something that allows a little more control over speed than a peddle though. I use a router speed control unit, that lets me get down to maybe 150 rpm.

I would also wonder as to the amps of the motor.  I'm currently using a 4 amp drill that is plugged into and extension cord with a dimmer switch.  I'm using one of the newer dimmer switches, which, to my understanding, doesn't decrease torque like a turn dial resistance dimmer would.  So far works great for Aluminum.  I  set the dimmer at the speed I want, set the drill to full power, and just turn the dimmer on and off as needed.  Eventually, as i cut other metals, I'll have markings for speeds for Aluminum, Steel, Copper and Bronze.