OwningGeezer

Soldering Questions

Hi all. I started making chain maille jewelry a little while ago and am starting to get into soldering. 

1. Tungsten v. titanium soldering pick. Are there any differences? Are both able to pick up small pieces of hard silver solder? 

2. Flux.  I've heard there are fluxes used for flow and others used for protecting from fire scales. Are both necessary when soldering silver or copper jump rings? I just got a jar of handy flux and am not sure if it is sufficient. 

3. Does anyone know of a good way to color copper jump rings after using silver colored solder? I was thinking I might be able to put the copper rings in the pickle solution with some steel in order to copper plate it. Does anyone know if that will work? 

4. Is it possible to solder titanium to itself? I am looking for a cheaper alternative to silver. All I want is a silver colored wire, like titanium, that can be used to make soldered jump rings. 

Sorry for the boat load of questions! Thanks for your time and help. 

Mark

I can answer the flux and copper plating questions from non-mail jewelry experience:

2. Handy flux works for both, at least on copper. Be careful about heating it, though--if you overheat the metal, it will eventually burn through the flux and fire scale will form.

3. As long as it's a used pickle solution (blueish from dissolved copper), it should work. I haven't tested the durability of the plating on jump rings (which will take a bit more wear than most of what I've plated), but a bit of high-speed buffing doesn't seem to take the plating off, so I think it would last pretty well.

1. Tungsten also can't be used with any solder containing zinc, is quite heavy and is brittle.

A 'silvery' metal cheaper than silver itself, that is solderable ... well, technically stainless steel is solderable, though it is more often welded.  I'm given to understand that it's a bit more of a pain than more commonly soldered metals like copper or silver, but from what I have read, it is doable.

edit: additional reference

Edited by Tedronai