Senadraxx

Anodized aluminum wash-safe?

I know, the first question that probably came to mind was, "who would put their mails project in a washing machine?"

It's a little different.

I have a sewing project. I'm sewing a bag from cotton and brocade. The strap will be scalemail, attached to it with d-rings if I can find some.

But here's where the ring question comes in.

My bag is black/silver, and I'm keeping that color scheme in every detail. It will have corset lacing on the sides. And be laced up with ribbon. To do that, I could try and find (the right) black cord, or I could use some of the silver maille rings I have just lying around.

So, I could secure the rings properly, do you think that it would be safe to use aluminum rings? If that works, then I can also use rings instead of D-rings for the strap to attach to.

If by "safe" you mean "won't destroy the washing machine" then my conditional answer would be yes. Just putting a few rings on the cloth won't create a problem. After all regular clothing has metal zippers, eyelets, etc. that don't destroy the thing. Aluminum will eventually dull and pit from repeated washings and anodized aluminum will dull though.

Alright, thanks rob. :) I was just kind of worried about whether the rings would destroy the machine or the project.

Steel would rust, right? My steel is readily available, and that's why I opted to use aluminum rings instead.

Stainless won't rust, but other types might.  If you are worried about possible damage to the machine, you can always turn the purse inside out.  This is what I do with the denim coat I've put chainmail accents on.  Those accents are all bright aluminum, and they come out looking fine.

From my experiences putting old anodised aluminium crockery through the dishwasher, it strips the coating off. I assume this is from the caustic detergent. So beware.

From my experiences putting old anodised aluminium crockery through the dishwasher, it strips the coating off. I assume this is from the caustic detergent. So beware.

The same sort of dulling occurs with anodized aluminum motorcycle parts, over time, due to weathering.

Dishwasher detergent is abrasive.  That is how it gets all the stuck on bits of food off.  That isn't an issue with the stuff you use in the washing machine.  

I would suggest using the same type of soap as for "delicate" clothes (Woolite or something similar).  

A good test might be to put a few rings in a bowl of water with a good dose of the washing product you plan to use for one night... if they come out ok, you should be safe washing them with that.

I have run a anodized aluminum and epdm bikini top with cloth straps through the washer and dryer tied inside a pillowcase and it came through the ordeal beautifully

I couldn't imagine that you would need to wash it that much to really worry about any damage to it unless you planned on a weekly washing or something.

You will probably get more wear and tear on it from using it than you would from it being washed.