Cystem_Phailure

What determines when a color gets discontinued?

I'm curious why the anodized pale yellow and dark rose colors will not be replenished in any of your gauge/ID combos once current supplies are exhausted. Is it strictly that they are unpopular and poor sellers? I'm guessing that neither of these supplies arose as leftovers from custom orders, since both colors are available in such a wide range of ring sizes. I really like that dark rose. It's much nicer (IMO) than the standard "pink" color.

Edited by Cystem_Phailure

Not a TRL employee, but I've been around for a bit.

These colours tend to be either leftovers from custom orders or 'oopsies', manufacturing errors. The available stock is essentially one minimum anodising batch of this colour. Since these are intended to be one-off batches they will generally not be replenished. They are not being discontinued, they were never part of the regular assortment to start with.

Setting up a factory-scale anodising line for a specific colour is quite an undertaking, so minimum orders tend to be quite big. The standard pink is economical, since it uses the same setup as the red rings (it just does not get soaked in the dye for as long).

Makes sense-- thanks.

I've only seen the TRL site since late last year. Are one-off colors rare events, or is it typical to get two or three of them a year (in any color) like in this past year? Maybe I can collect a handful of hues and then combine them in works made entirely of extinct colors. :biggrin:

Each case likely has its own story.  Pale yellow and seafoam were both colors we made an entire line off and thought it was not a good enough color to continue to make.  In the case of seafoam customers decided we should keep it and we listened.

Dark rose is new and looks worth keeping and we'll get to restocking it soon.

Lime green is the next color we are playing with.

Yes to lime green!! I've been wanting that for ages (and to be honest, lime green, aqua, violet and hot pink are the colours I go to other manufacturers for currently - vibrant fashion colours). Love the metallics and pastels here though, love love love. And the prices!