Sign in to follow this  
j_betts

Stiching Shield Scales

I'm looking to stitch a bunch of shield scales onto a jean jacket.  I've read the instructions in the tutorial sections and it says I need to put 2 extra holes in the scales to stop them from flopping around.  I'm looking to see if I really need to add a second set of holes to the scales.  I have access to a punch, but any work I can avoid is time I can use for other parts of the project.

Edited by j_betts

A drill is far slower than a 1/16" or 3/64" punch for work like this.  Hold-down arrangements to keep the scale from spinning if the bit grabs it would be a necessary nuisance too.

Even using a Dremel for the work risks burning drill bits up in some quantity with its mad RPMs.  An even bigger nuisance.  Overheat a drill bit and its temper goes, and with the temper the ability to cut the steel.  A punch gives a clean and finished hole in a second.

To be honest I would consider getting a few and experamenting.

Aluminum punches and drills really easy with sharp tools.

Use a drill press and jig if drilling.

With a punch make a template and use a center punch to referance the hole punch.

Use a countersink bit or deburring tool as needed.

The instructions say you need to add an extra set of holes, but doesn't say why.  Noise will not work for my project.  I will pick up a punch and add the holes.  Thank you for the tip about the template.  Things like that are very helpful.