thearmourman

Chain Mail Hacky-Sack

Chain Mail Hacky-Sack

Here is a chain mail hack-sack that I made out of about 280 stainless steel rings. The rings are 16 gauge with a 1/4 inch inner diameter. I heat colored the rings on the ends and middle of the ball a nice deep gold color. I think it turned out great, and it is perfect for juggling, hacky-sacking, or whatever else I might want to use it for. 

I've always found that euro 4 in 1 with those specs will start loose rings near the Queen ring after a bit of kicking around... only exception was the welded one. For standard type of rings I always had best results with Japanese 6 in 2 - stainless for the 6 vertical rings and aluminum for the doubled up rings.

My first ones were stuffed with a bit of cloth, but after a while the cloth compacts (probably part of the reason I've never seen a regular hacky sack stuffed with fabric). A looser filling will perform better as long is its not small enough to fit through the weave. A couple that I liked: loose aluminum rings, sometimes I'd link them together into short chains so less would jump out if the hack got a hole in it; airsoft pellets. I also tried dried beans and un-popped pop corn, but the filling got moldy if the hack got wet. also, the beans would get pulverized after a while.  Some people also said that they preferred the japanese weave hacks that I made to not be filled with anything.

Here's my version of a chainmail hacky sack.  18 g 3/16" stainless, woven J 6in1 or 6in2 depending on how tight you like you hacky.  It is a 3d 6in1 build, all stainless, all connected, so no rings fall out.

Done 6in1 weight just under 2 oz. 6in2 less than 3 oz.

HackySack_zps09e143e7.jpg

I've been selling these off and on for about 6 years, and I've never had anyone tell me they broke theirs.

Edited by Kittensoft_Chainmail

So apparently I never got notifications for this thread. And yes, I do realize its been almost 5 years. But I've revisited the chainmail hacky sack, so I thought I would share. First I'll answer the question j_betts asked about what I filled it with - it is filled with a fleece fabric.

I recently redesigned it a bit, and made it possible to weave with only one ring size. You can read about it here:

How to Make a Chainmail Hacky Sack

Chainmail hacky sack resting on green mat