debr1126

Chainmail pot scrubber

While looking at cast iron cookware, I saw this on Amazon:

KitchenGear Cast Iron Cookware Cleaner, Iron Skillet Chainmail Scrubber

I'd never heard of such a thing!

This looks like it would be a really easy project and a good stocking stuffer.

Questions: 1) Would rust be a problem with regular stainless steel rings--at the kitchen sink? 2) What's this "food grade" business? Does it even matter if you're just cleaning a pot with it?

It should work out OK. The one i made for myself, about 14 years ago, is made from re-purposed 18 g. copper electrical wire wrapped to 3/16" I.D. and it' still going strong.

It looks like they're using a a 3/8", or possibly larger, ring, and I would worry about long term durability since they don't look welded or soldered. The one I made isn't either, but with the smaller ring diameter it's much less or an issue.  Also, being made of copper, mine can also be used on stainless pots and pans with no ill effects.

Not a bad find though, and the would make great stocking stuffers, or starter project for teaching.

I have not had any issues with my stainless rusting, These are not a good idea on Teflon or other no stick coatings.

Stainless and cast iron seam to hold up well.

I use 16 gauge 1/4 and 5/16" rings with great success.

Over all they are not really cost effective to make, few of us can compete with china or pakistand labor costs.

some alloys may show signs of rust if left exposed to harsh chemicals or wet for prolonged periods of time,

but who leaves the scrubby in dirty dishwater for weeks on end?

Whereas copper wire will not.  Does seem to work every bit as well as some writers had guessed.  Seems to work well because its holes and gaps are too big for food to clog easily, so it gets the gunky stuff right off the pots and pans.

I have an antique one made from non-stainless split rings. I use it when I have pots/pans that have stuff really burnt onto them - so not every time I do dishes, but at least a couple times a month... sometimes it ends up in the bottom of my sink and I don't notice it for a few days. Yeah, it gets rusty... but mail has the benefit of being relatively self-cleaning when used as a pot scrubber, and in the process it gets a good coating of oil that probably goes a long ways towards keeping it from turning into a rusted up lump.

Anybody even thought about using that on my pots would be eating one of 'em. SS is rust resistant, but will scratch iron and SS badly.

You're dead wrong about that, as long as your cuts and closures are good there won't be an issue, they work great. Any "scratches" are a minor cosmetic thing but if you're worried, copper alloy ones take care of that too. I've personally tested them on seasoned cast iron, steel, stainless steel, aluminum and teflon pans.

Keep in mind that this type of scrubber was common back when seasoned iron and steel pans were the only option. Most of the ones you find for sale now are garbage though, Badly made ones could scratch the hell out of a pan.

For any one who wants to make them, smaller rings in thinner wire work best.  I recommend welding the rings for strength.

That looks interesting, I've never seen or heard of this either. My only concern is that will it leave scratches on the pot or other cookware? Have anyone tried that yet. I have been using the silicon sponge or washcloth to clean because they don't "spoil" the cookware.

kitchen dish brush cleaner silicon sponge