Fergus

Mail coif

Here are a couple of pictures of another coif I just finished.  The think that is different about this project is how and where i made it.  I made the entire project at work working on it only during my break and lunch times.  When I started the project I gave myself four months to finished it.  I was able to finish it in less than three months.  Now I need another project I can work on at work during my break and lunch times. 

post-311-0-53174600-1451055811_thumb.jpg

post-311-0-02585600-1451056317_thumb.jpg

Nicely done. 3/8" stainless?

I've done the same sort of thing while working on other projects. Jewellery is easy to do during breaks and lunches. For larger projects essentially what I'll do is make sheets of chain at work, during lunch and breaks, then combine them into the actual project at home in my free time. I made this piece for actress Sarah Moore that way. (yes, I already know that the sleeves aren't ideal ;) )

Sarah_Moore.jpg

3/8" 14 gauge galvanized.  I make my own rings for most of what I make.  Currently I am just making sheets of mail at work.  I am thinking that after the new year I may make another coif. 

I generally work in bright aluminum, making costume grade pieces. This makes it a lot easier to carry around what could end up being a 3 foot by 4 foot sheet of 16 gauge, 1/4" rings. Working this way I've currently got almost all that I need to make a hauberk for a 6'3", 240 pound Seattle actor.

Howdy, Fergus.  As an armor guy, working almost entirely in galvy butted until I seriously get round to riveting 5,000 links, I favor shirts, coifs, faulds, camails and I suppose voiders one day.  That much authenticity in mailpieces probably calls for 1/4" riveted links, though, what with fine mail being more comfortable in the armpits -- notably fine wire, too, around .038"-.040".  My first riveted project, apart from a few off-size links (an artifact of hand cutting and its occasional imprecision), will be a camail in 5/16".