Kittensoft_Chainmail

What kind of ring?

Hi.

in my recent order I got  grab bag.  There is 1 bag of rings that has me  bit stumped though.  At first look I took them for copper because of their color and weight, but on closer inspection I find that they look to be either plated or filled.  I know you don't use plated ring for copper, but the outer edge doesn't look thick enough for a filled wire. Also, the inner metal looks more like steel or aluminum than the brass.

Here's an picture of 1 of the rings. post-44764-0-47040600-1453407338_thumb.jpg

Any help identifying the metal would be a help.

Thanks

post-13402-0-66454300-1453421770_thumb.jpg

Could be copper clad steel. Someone gave me a spool of it, But I also got a bag via grab bag. Made this continuous twisted E4 piece with it. Tarnished like crazy since. 

Thanks PARmbrust, I hadn't considered that.  The last time at looked at the copper page t said across the top that all their ring were solid copper, not plated.  Even now they only list a 16g clad aluminum rings.

Has the coating held up well over time?  Tarnish is expected, but does it chip or scratch easily?

It's is nice to know what material something made from if a customer asks. :)

could they be the copper clad aluminum? I have used these in the past and they have a bit more weight then regular aluminum I know they used to carry 2 sizes but now only have the one in the specials sections which reminds me I need to get more.