Julie5150

"Super Babies" ... myostatin-related muscle hypertrophy

I'd wait a few years before calling that lucky. what will all that extra muscle do to a growing skelital structure? I don't know, maybe no effect, maybe it'll make that stronger too, or maybe it'll deform it in some grotesque way

Well, as dweezle said there might be complications later. It's a well known fact that too much work-out can damage the skeleton, so perhaps these kids aren't that lucky after all. Guess we'll see what happens...

Personally, I'd be more worried about this:

"Not yet 5, he can hold seven-pound weights with arms extended, something many adults cannot do."

Is this true? I mean, seven pounds/roughly 3 kilos... If that's because of our living, I'm kinda scared of what will happen in the future.

True, but with the myostatin blocked one would think that the child (in this case) would have to do less working out to get more muscle mass, because the rebuilding of the muscle mass would be faster/biologically easier due to the lack of the myostatin. I.e., he would barely have to work out at all to get the same results as a professional body builder.

What effect would a good days hard work have? What about jobs such as farming, carpentry, etc where everyday is a day of hard work?

Everyday hardwork would result in bodybuilders, bodybuilders would result in Incredible Hulks, "normal" folks would be like Gymnasts.

Think about it, *IF* there are no side effects, this would mean the end to many killing deseases... Would be interesting to see how long someone with this condition would live.... They say it doesn't affect the heart at all, can a human heart last 150 or even 200 years without failing?

Certainly does need a lot more research, but it's interesting and exciting!

Mike B

The everyday hard work resulting in bodybuilders is what worries me. The kids in the farming community where I live have some heavy chores. A bodybuilders mass on a ten year old skeletal structure--sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

I would also be concerned on what affect this would have on hormone levels and the child's natural development.

From what I've heard in the past, there are some real concerns about the health of the heart of babies like this, though they may have been talking about the same child. I think that if they found a way to turn this... variation... 'half on' it would have some real potential.

The everyday hard work resulting in bodybuilders is what worries me. The kids in the farming community where I live have some heavy chores. A bodybuilders mass on a ten year old skeletal structure--sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

I would also be concerned on what affect this would have on hormone levels and the child's natural development.

Yeah, disaterous like Richard Sandrak

But for it to be natural - They've yet to be able to find any serious problems, actually. There are only a few known adult cases in the world to study. Though one bodybuilder - Keithe (??) with this condition recently survived a 170mph car crash due to his acceptional health and body's ability to grow and repair damaged muscle tissue.

Here's another picture of the nameless German superkid - I'm presuming he was age 4/5 in this photo? And in a different article I believe it said he was the youngest person to ever climb Mt. Everest. (I'll look for that article, again, see if it's really this kid)

the real danger to the skeleton to these kids when the ends caps of all the bones get pulled on too hard by the muscles causing it to literally rip right off the bone.

The end caps are still soft in a sense. until later on on anyhoe.

The skeleton is still in development into the late teens and early twenty.

There is real potential for the weight bearing strength of the muscle to over extend that of the skeleton. When that happens bones snap under the lode. I've herd of several cases where that happened in extreme weight lifting.

And kids, even normal kids, don't know their own strength.

I think everyone is missing my point. I agree that this genetic disorder in anyone who is not physically mature could cause problems...the younger the person the more problems they could have. But if this gene could be turned off on purpose once a person reached physical maturity then I think it could go a long way to resolving/preventing a lot of the obesity-related medical conditions out there.

Not really. I under stand the possible good to mankind. This might even provide a cure for fibromyalgia--a condition with which I suffer. I'm just more concerned about the child then I am about mankind.

I've spent too long learning about the horrors of the type of genetic modifications you are talking about.

Unfortunately, unless we can get nano-robots to inject every single cell in our body with some magical agent that changes our DNA, we will not see any "adult DNA alterations." If we go down that path, it has to be during the first stage of embryo development.

The child appears healthy now, but there is still a severe risk of side effects due to that mutation. Unfortuantely, the chances for terrible things to happen outweighs the chances for good in genetics.

Unfortuantely, the chances for terrible things to happen outweighs the chances for good in genetics.

Worse than the obvious explotation of his mutation and image for his parents pocketbooks? (how else can you explain the "olympic" photo above) ... I pity that poor kid.

- Dunedon

y'know i know it's bad but think of this gents and ladies...when these kids get out of high school in the states and they possibly have easily controlled minds (if that happens) or even by choice where do you think these 'super kids' are going to go? the armed forces...now how scared would people be to see these guys multiplied and in unison on a battlefeild? christ! not to mention what happens to the easily angered/ bipolar kids that happen to have this two? ehhhh i'm getting a sheild that can fend off one of these kids before i get torn up by a bunch of ankle bitters..lol

y'know i know it's bad but think of this gents and ladies...when these kids get out of high school in the states and they possibly have easily controlled minds (if that happens) or even by choice where do you think these 'super kids' are going to go? the armed forces...now how scared would people be to see these guys multiplied and in unison on a battlefeild? christ! not to mention what happens to the easily angered/ bipolar kids that happen to have this two? ehhhh i'm getting a sheild that can fend off one of these kids before i get torn up by a bunch of ankle bitters..lol

If they have any sense at all they will go into sports or become professional wrestlers, or something like that. The thought of them in the military doesn't scare me in the least. Unlike some places, in America the military is on our side :)

Now a bipolar/easily angered 'super kid' could cause a lot of trouble

Worse than the obvious explotation of his mutation and image for his parents pocketbooks? (how else can you explain the "olympic" photo above) ... I pity that poor kid.

- Dunedon

Well - during my computer swap I was discussing this with my Dad at his house and he found an article in a science journal that actually had this particular photo in it...The photo I posted is the nameless German child that the parents are keeping hidden in the dark and this nameless child is in no way being exploited. In fact, he's being kept such a secret that the article mentioned that no one really knew how old the kid was or where they were currently living, only that he was born in Germany at some time.

Hence why it's so hard to find information on him.

Anywhoo...My interest in this subject first came up when we were at an appointment for our youngest son who has sort of wowed us and the Dr's with his advanced physical abilities. Our pediatrician genuinely believes our son has a deficiency to some degree of this nature but I think it's just my good old home cookin. LOL He rolled over at 1 day old and hasn't slowed down since! He's a real headache and a half.

So - per the child of the original post - I don't feel sorry for the kid. I feel sorry for the kids parents! Talk about a kid who can really give a headache.