Kittensoft_Chainmail

Has this happened to anyone else?

I don't know if this has happened to anyone else, but all of pliers seem to magnetize after using them for a week or 2.  It only seems to happen to my mailing pliers, as none of the pliers in my general toolbox have magnetized.

Just curious if this has happened to anyone else. :)

It happens with use.

There are options, but I tend to magnetize pliers, screwdrivers and all sorts of tools.

When working on computer or circut boards the tools need to be compleatly demagnetized on more sensitive components.

A degausing coil is a good option if your eletricaly inclined or know an eletical engineer or technician.

It's not a problem, I was just wondering if I was the only one.  My mailing pliers get more use by far than anything else I use, and non of my other tools have done it that I've noticed, so I thought I'd ask others if it was common.  I get curious that way. :)

Thanks for the reply.

My pliers have done this a few times. I purchased a really strong magnet from a Science center that does the trick. Run it down the pliers from tip to joint removing the magnet each time and after a few swipes you have normal pliers. Please note that a normal kitchen magnet is not strong enough.

This is for demagnetizing and magnetizing tools. Its an option too. You can find them at the hardware store. I have not tried this method yet but my mechanic swears by it. FIPL3E1IBGCCX1W.LARGE.jpg

Steel objects rubbing together become magnetized.  Nails and pins stored together are often magnetized because of that and come out in clumps when you try to grab one from the box.  If you go to a restaurant that stores a large number of utensils together, the utensils are also slightly magnetized.

Your pliers probably become magnetized when you work with a lot of steel rings.  aluminum wouldn't produce that effect.

It can be a useful thing to know if you need to create a compass for some reason... you can magnetize the needle by rubbing it on a piece of steel, no need for a magnet. Then just find something to keep the needle afloat, and you have a rudimentary compass.

Given that I hang all my pliers on a magnetic knife rack over my workbench, I'd be more than a bit surprised if it didn't happen. I rarely work with magnetic materials so it's not much of an issue.