Chainmailbill

Large AA scales with a bad smell

Hello!

I was wondering if anyone else has had an issue with large AA scales - usually the bulk packs of 1000 - and a bad smell coming from the package.

Specifically, to me it smells sort of like ammonia (cat pee), enough so that I had thought that our cat had decided to use a tote of rings as a litter box. Thankfully, that's not the case.  I emailed TRL a while ago to ask about this smell, and no one on their end noticed a problem. For a while I thought I was going crazy, or that my sense of smell was broken somehow (I smoked for 15+ years) but I've since had other people notice the smell both prompted (here, smell this) and unprompted (what's that smell?). The smell is strongest when the bulk bags are opened - Cutting one open and sniffing the inside right away can be pretty intense. I've washed and cleaned batches of scales before, and the smell still sort of clings to the scales; the only way to get rid of the smell is to air the scales out for a week or more.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it maybe a residue left on the scales from the manufacturing process? Perhaps a chemical reaction taking place in the bag during shipping?

Thanks!

I think it might be the either the machine oil or possibly the solvent used to unglue them? if you have ever received ones still taped/glued together you will understand)  I have some medium ones that currently smell a little off but it is kind of like the smell you describe when I first opened the bags and they do need to be wiped off. I have not noticed it on the extra large scales and have not purchased the large lately. so no you are not crazy ( well not about this at least, lol) :innocent: